A Real Queen.

As I wake in the morning, I stand from my bed

As I wake in the morning, I stand from my bed. I move my hair to behind my back and look to the empty bed. To be loved isn't there.

It's been a week since the Roman King and his son have stayed waiting for an answer. The son is quite intriguing but I must not indulge like a warm bath.

I am sore with bruises from the harsh training I've put myself through with Rollo and Shield maidens. We get along well enough and my people are seeing that. They still don't want anything to do with the pagans but the children have started playing with one another.

My Nordic has gotten better since the first day. I can form sentences now as long as understand them. I'm thankful. Only Rollo knows that I speak their language. I want to know what I can do to help them.

The servants dress me and place my crown on my head. I have duties to fulfill this morning as well as trying to get Delfina out of my kingdom.

I step down to the throne room and wait as I am introduced. I step to the throne and sit down. People come and go asking me questions and such. I dismiss my people and leave the Vikings with me. I stand and place my hands together. I take a breath and look at Rollo. He nods and I speak in their language. "I haven't been able to formally introduce myself.." I pause for a moment to try and remember what to say. "I am Queen Isabella Ambrosio." I look around at them.

"If you ever need anything. I am here for you." I purse my lips and then lick them. The nervousness kicking in. Normally Rollo is doing this. He smiles and I look down at the ground with a smile. "You may come up and ask anything or say anything. Like you would at your own village. Like Kattegat. Your home."

I move and sit back down. A lady and her child step up. They start speaking quickly and I hold my hand up. "Slower please.." I let out a soft laugh and the woman nods. "My child was playing with the others and they pelted rocks at him. Yelling Pagan." I furrow my brows and then stand and step to them, kneeling down to the child. "Where'd they hurt you." I run my thumb against his soft cheek and he lifts his hair in the front to reveal a gash.

I shake my head and stand, waving a servant over. I place my hand on the woman's arm. "My servant will take care of his wound and give him a pastry." I smile and she nods. "Thank you." I nod and smile to the little boy.

I step back and look at them. No one else decides to come up. They are still worried. Why?...

Wait.. I remember.. I heard that King Ecbert of England had them killed because he didn't want them on his land.. I had heard a story of it from Rollo. But I'm praying they will accept me.

"If that is all.. you may leave." I nod and step back to my throne. They all leave except Rollo. He steps to me and nods, speaking Frankish to me. "You did good.." I nod and smile, taking his hand. "Thank you.. I just need them to trust me." I nods and holds my hand for a moment, looking at each other as the doors swing open.

I let go of his hand quickly as soon as I see that it is King Delfina along side of the prince. "Isabella. Have you decided yet? We have been here a week and we have been avoided." He looks between Rollo and I and then steps to the bottom of the stairs.

I stand and step a few down. "You barge in without any knowledge or anyone to tell me that you are here." I furrow my brows and look at him.

Prince Cedric looks at his father who nods to him. He bows to one knee and looks up at me. "My Queen. Please. Take my hand in marriage."

I look down at him and hold my hand out. "No. Not to offend you Prince Cedric." He stands and then looks at me for a moment.

His father annoyingly steps in. "How dare you? Are you mad? You can't simply do this yourself?! Especially since I seen you with the pagan." I let out a laugh and step closer to him. "You're making false assumptions."

He grins to me. "Why are you so angry at the truth? Now that you decided against us. We will have no choice to take over your crown."

I furrow my brows and squint my eyes, getting closer to his face. "You haven't seen me angry yet." I look over to the guards. "Escort him from my Castle and Kingdom now. He is a threat." He goes to grab for his sword but Rollo quickly presses his axe to his neck. "I suppose you should leave." I smile and step back up to my throne and sit down as guards file in and escort them out. "Be easy with the Prince. He's just following his fathers orders." I nod to Caiazzio who has now entered the room.

I take a breath and run my fingers over my temples, closing my eyes. I then open them to see Rollo stood there. "Shall we train?" I stand and he nods. "I'll meet you there." He states and I nod.

I step down the stairs beside him and take a breath. "We have to prepare for war.. it's coming sooner than I would have thought."