A Spider's Web

Chapter 81

Tristan

"Love you", I whispered kissing Claire's cheek as she  started to fall asleep. I could get used to mornings like this. Maybe in the next few months I could convince Claire, she didn't need to work.

"Love you, too", she said perfectly content. I didn't want Claire worrying about Owens I wanted her perfectly happy in our bubble. And I was going to make sure she stayed in our bubble. I had lots of plans to keep her happy. So when it finally came down to her making the decision of staying home or going back to work she would want to stay home. 

I left our bedroom more than ready to start my day. I was keeping Owen's close in my line of vision. I made sure I worked on all of his cases and try to build a rapport with him. His comment may have freaked Claire out but I knew he wasn't clever enough to catch me. Let alone even be suspicious of me. In his mind, I was just an anti-social ass-whole.

Which was fine.

I was.

I am.

I made my way to the parking garage. And got into my car. I look down and over to the little red bug next to mine. I needed to get Claire's car cleaned. I need to do a lot of stuff to get her acclimated to our new life. And that started with getting her friends and family on board with us. Her friends would be easy, especially now that Nina was dead. And we would be better once Claire's father died It'd like stealing candy from a baby. Her mom was a pushover. So it would take little convincing to get her on my side.

But first things first.

Owens.

My whole commute was dedicated to pondering over everything I had learned about Owens. For starters his first name was Hunter. Oddly appropriate. He was born and raised in Houston. A bit of a mama's boy seeing as he was still taking her to and from church and the grocery store in her old age. His father died 3 years back in a car accident. No, one would admit it, but he was definitely drunk driving and thankfully only killed himself When he wrapped his car around a street lamp. Hunter was from a long line of cops who peaked in high school but still needed some way to assert their authority. Except Hunter was halfway intelligent. That would explain why he got the detective position.

As I pulled out of the garage and got onto the the Main Street I was still focus on my thoughts. I had nothing to worry about with Hunter. There was only two ways this could play out. The first being he would follow my breadcrumbs like a good little boy and go on with his career. Or Hunter would try and play detective with an actual genius and I'll kill him myself.

But for now, I had to sit and wait. I would weave a carefully and meticulous web like a spider. I would wait for my prey to fall into my net. And finish the job.

I smiled to myself.

The best kills are the ones your prey never see coming.