Day 10 - Souvenir

Chapter 23

Tristan 

 We walked down a street with a wide variety of shops: antique and art stalls, jewelry and accessory shops, luxury boutiques, souvenir kiosks and stores selling leather goods, all showcasing an array of the finest Athene's wares. Tourists flocked to them like fireflies to a lamp, enthusiasm accentuating their features. The silvery melody of the drawl of sightseers and the strong, distinct accents of the locals drifted through my ears as they ambled past. There were chimes of bells that tinkled incessantly as the people sauntered in and out of the stores, entranced by the Italian merchandise. They purchased bags of picturesque paintings, fragile but colorful figurines created from glass, and shirts with 'Athens ' printed in big, bold letters, among many others.  

"This one or this one?" She asked holding up two different shirts from the gift store. One was a white shirt with big bold black letter that said 'I love Athens' and the other was black  with white writing that said,'STRAIGHT OUTTA ATHENS'. We were shopping for souvenirs and giving Claire a well deserved break after yesterday. After, literary spending all day in bed and only taking breaks for food, water and the occasion shower she needed a break.

"That one?" I said pointing to the black one.

"Really? Or how about this one?" She said holding up a red tee with a spartan helmet that read,'This is SPARTA'.

"No, the black one", weren't even in Sparta.

"Are you just saying that", She asked holding on to all three shirts and walking a little farther in to the shop. The wool shop was more of a club house for grannies than a shop. I followed behind her patiently. I would buy every single shirt in here if that's what she wanted. But, Claire was simple. She wanted something to give her parents--- a bottle of Metaxa which we were told was some kind  of blend of brandy and wine and a tee shirt for herself. The Metaxa took most of the morning and the evening was now dedicate to her shirt hunt.  

She reached out her hand to me and I gladly took it.Her touch was soft and delicate like the missing puzzle piece to mine. 

If Claire and I could stay like this forever I could die a happy man. 

I liked watching Claire up close. She was a flower in full bloom. Her eyes were always wide and her laughter loud and full bodied. She exuded a warmth that others flocked to and she was never more alive than when she was submerged in a crowd. 

She alone held my attention.

My Claire.

We walked outside with no shirt blending into the crowd of other tourist. 

I hated crowds.

 The more people the more variables of possibilities for negative events.   

 We made our way into a dustless shop that was minefield for the clumsy. Delicate and expensive hand crafted figurines, glass bowls and kiln-fired plates were left on low shelves where they could be easily knocked and broken.  The shop was gleaming inside and out, but it had the sterile, over air-conditioned feel of a big boxed store. The uniforms of the assistants were immaculate and bright, but their smiles were pasted on and shallow. Their eyes had no warmth and they stood like well rehearsed would-be actors for an audition. On the wall hung some tee shirts Claire made a beeline for. I headed for a nearby chair by the window. I stared out at the chaos of the crowd.

I knew I was introvert since I was have been old enough to have memories. Because Katie was the extrovert. The queen of small mindless talk, 'How was your week?' and 'Did you see the sale at [Black]?'