Unflinching and Unblinking

Chapter 55

Claire

I sat in my living room wrapped up in a thick blanket as I watched Doctor Who alone in the dark with only the glow of the TV with a pint of ice cream and Doritos.

God, seeing Tristan made me a mess.

Well, a bigger mess.

My entire house smells like roses that Tristan kept sending me. I looked over to the end table to see the bouquet of Roses and Lilies. I could bring myself to throw them away. Tristan had to have know Roses and Lilies were my favorites. All of the others got thrown away but this one was to pretty to be put in the trash.

It didn't mean I wanted to look at it.

I looked back to my TV and saw Netflix judging me.

Are you still watching?

Not anymore If your going to judge me.

I yawned ready for bed. I reached over for my remote to turn off the TV only 4 my house to be plunged into darkness.

God damn it.

Power outage.

Or fuse blown.

I stood up and wrapped my self up in my blanket ready to make my way down to my basement. It wasn't nearly as creepy anymore now that Tristan had finished it. I knew Nina was trying to undo everything Tristan I had did but there is no way I was going to be able to afford to put my house back the way he found it. I was going to have to get over it eventually.

I made my way though the hallway hating how bare my walls were. Maybe tomorrow I could I drive up to Spicewood and find some art in one of the thrift stores there. I passed by my front and jumped. The hairs on my arms stand to attention, as a militia of chills march down my spine. My heart hammered in my chest as stared down a man dressed in black with a ski mask on. I dropped my blanket as I debated what to do.

Was my door locked?

No. I don't think in the three years I've been here have I ever locked my doors. It just wasn't that kind of neighborhood. 

Could I make it to the door before he got in?

It would only be by the skin of my teeth. And If I didn't get to the door first I would be to close to robber and he could overpower me. 

Was this Tristan?

I honestly couldn't tell. And I did want to wait to find out. 

His feet pounded against the ground with all the grace of a sack of wet concrete as he spirited to the door. I bolted to the door barely making it to the lock before the man could slam his fist on to the glass opening of the door. The man banged on the door jiggling the hinge as I slowing backed away.His eyes were blue, almost sickeningly blue so this wasn't Tristan. 

 I could feel my heart beat... every single pound in my chest.The sound is intolerable, my breathes get deeper and deeper by the second.

The banging stop as the man backed away slowing keeping his eyes on me before he dragged left...to the backdoor.

I swung around racing into the kitchen,"Fuck, fuck shit!" moving in the dark I bumped my hip in the side of the kitchen table but still kept moving. I slam the door shut and the lock the sliding glass door that lead to my patio. 

He could easily break the break the glass.

Not even thinking I pushed my kithen table in front of the sliding door and pulled a knife from my drawer waiting for my robber to appear. Gripping the hilt of my knife I slowly backed away from the door keeping my eyes focused on the door. I knew he was coming. It was just taking too long. Shakily I held my breath. There was another way to get inside the house.

Unless...

My heart dropped into my stomach.

The garage.

Before I could even turn around strong hands forced me down to the ground as I thrashed around violently swiping the air. Unflinching, unblinking, he wrestle the knife out of my hand and pinned me onto my back using my own knife against me pressing it against my throat. His face was mostly masked by his ski mask. The knife that was being toyed with in his thick fingers glimmered in the moonlight as it was twirled so deftly. He spoke without any nerves, this wasn't his first break in but it was mine. A scream tore through me like a great shard of glass as I tried to fight back. A rag was pulled out of his back pocket and shoved onto my nose. Panicked I inhaled only for my vision to become blurry and my body became so very tired.

I tried to fight against my body's desire for sleep only to lose. The last thing I remember before blacking out was my shirt being torn open by the knife freeing my breast.

God don't let this happened.

Please...don't...