Angelshot

Chapter 32

Claire

Where the fuck was Tristan!?

Fear sat on me like a pillow over my mouth and nose. Enough air got in to my body, allowing my body to keep functioning, but it was crippling all the same,"Tristan should be back soon. We could all go together?"

I was screaming in my mind. But the worst thing I could do right now is let him know I knew what he was. He was like Tristan. Except older and wiser I could probably outrun him. But what if he had a gun?

What if?

This is Texas!

He has a gun he probably had several! Maybe I was blowing this all out of proportion. Or maybe? This trait had to come from somewhere in Tristan's family and I may be looking at the originator. Tristan did say his family were butchers before they hit it big with oil.

Tristan may not be the black sheep of the family. That would explain why his grandfather was so understanding of Tristan. Skipping over his own son in favor of Tristan by giving him the company. And he knew what happened that day in the woods. Did he plan it that way?

"He just stepped out. And if we wait it'll be raining by the time he gets back. Made an old mans day?" I know I'm anxious when I feel the wind more keenly in my eyes; it's that tearless stage when the eyes take on a sheen of water and a tension builds behind them. I need to shake it off.

Now isn't the time or place for tears. 

My brain was working overtime trying to figure out any excuse to not leave this house. With strain in my voice I croaked out,"I don't have any shoes".

That's the best I could do! My life is on the line and it comes down to shoes!

"Eileen has a pair you could borrow..." George said getting up,"I'll go get them. A partially good day shouldn't be ruined by footwear. I'll be right back".

Slowly made his way out of the room. What do I do? Do I try to make a run for it. He could shoot me in the back if his aim was good enough. Or do I stay and try and buy myself time until Tristan gets back. If I run where do I run to? I had no idea where Tristan was at and I wasn't familiar enough with Sugarland to run anywhere safe.

George was a 70 year old man he couldn't hurt me if he wanted to.

He was probably in better shape then I was. Because he probably worked out the same amount is Tristan except he had decades of training his body.

Call Tristan!

And say what?!

Your most favorite person in the world may be trying to kill me? I didn't know him enough to know how he would react to that. Would he think I was playing? Would he get mad? Would he helped his grandad?

Nina!

I quickly texted her.

CALL ME! ASAP 911!

Maybe, if I kept Nina on the phone long enough for Tristan to get back I could diffuse the situation. George couldn't kill me if Nina heard everything happening.

Please, check your phone.

Please, Nina.

"Found them!" I jumped at the sound of George's voice.

"Great", I said turning to see him holding up a pair of Hunter red rain boots. I'm so fucked!

Why?!