BANG!

Chapter 48

Claire

My body froze as Tristan fell to the ground and the woman before me fired her gun into the small space. I ducked down and tackled her to the ground. Only to be pistol-whipped to the ground. I had never been in a fight in my entire life but there was enough adrenaline pumping through my veins telling me I had the fight through the splitting pain in my head,"This isn't about you!" The woman spat. She stood up and aim the gun at me as I tried to sit up past my blurry vision.

"Wait!" I sent scooting backwards until my hand brushed against Tristan's body. I didn't want to think about the worst case scenario. Tristan would be fine we just needed to get past this crazy bitch. "Don't!"

"Move!" She demanded cocking gun.

"Please don't do this", I begged. I didn't know who this woman was or why she was trying to gun us down. But I knew for a fact someone had to hear the gunshots. Someone could call the police and hopefully we could end this.

"Move or I'll shoot both of you", she said with a growl.

"What did he do?!" I asked panicked. If I move thats it for Tristan. She'll kill him I need to buy us both some time

"HE TOOK EVERYTHING FROM ME", she shouted as her voice echoed in the church.

I took a deep breath and agreed with her,"I know. He took someone important to you".

"Yes", she said shocked. " Troy was a good man. A good provider and he took him from me! I know everything about HIM. He's not going to get away with this---"

I heard Triston grunt behind me, it sounded like he was drowning,"H-h-how?"

"I was there in the subway. I saw what he did. Now, move".

"Just wait---"

Bang!

I went down like a sack of flour as the bullet tore through my shoulder and I fell backwards onto Tristan's leg. I stared up in excruciating pain to the concrete ceiling. My breath came out in short little spouts as I watch the woman come to stand over Tristan,"Help! NO", I barely got out before I watched the woman point the gun directly at Tristan's head and unload two bullets in rapid succession.

Bang! Bang!

I felt as if my lungs were slowly filling with water, as if there was just less space in them for the air. Inflating them felt like pushing up a lead weight on my chest. I sucked in the air as if it were treacle. Tears stream down my eyes as I watched the mad woman come to stand above me. She pointed her gun down at me and I stared into the barrel.

I was going to died.

And before I can even object or even form a sentence the gun went off again.

Bang!

I squeezed my eyes shut not ready for the pain that was about to come.

Bang! Bang!

I winced at the sound of gunfire. But, I was still breathing, still in pain.

Still...alive.

I slowly opened my eyes and so the crazy woman now dead on the floor with two bullets in her back and one in her head. "Help!"

"I'm here! I'm here", a familiar voice said terrified. Katie? I tried to set up but my body felt as if it was made of lead. I needed to help Tristan I needed... " TRISTAN!" Katie screamed as she fell to her knees and cradled Tristan and her arms,"TRISTAN!" She cried out like a wounded animal. And at her side I saw a gun.

She shot ... she shot...

My brain wasn't working anymore. Thoughts became fogged over in a haze of pain. As I started to feel weaker eye vision started to blur.

The church bells rang in a peal. Normally this would signal a wedding or service. And the clanging that echoed through the church was chaotic rather than melodic.

It was the last thing I remember before darkness took me.

Please let me wake up.

Let Tristan be okay.

Let...