Texarkana

Chapter 46

Tristan

I lost track of how many days I had been in this hospital. I used to look forward to seeing Katie. But, my parents quickly stop that. I never got to see Claire. I didn't even know if she was alive.

God, I hoped she was fine.

At this point, I didn't even care if she wasn't seeing me on purpose. I just wanted her to be alive. I missed her voice, her smile, the smell of her lavender skin, how her mouth felt on mine and the taste of her pussy cumming on my lips.

What were you going Claire?

Claire

As soon as I could sit up I was kicked out of the hospital so fast I should be back in there for whiplash. I was starting to see why Tristan didn't like his parents. They were doing everything in their power to keep me away from Tristan and succeeding. They bought out the entire floor Tristan was on and made sure I had no way to contact Katie. And since Tristan and I weren't really married the hospital gave me no information. I sank down on Tristan's couch defeated.

What could I do?

What should I do?

Mentally beating myself up I leaned back and stared up at the light blink ceiling wishing it would give me the answers.

What would Tristan do?

Murder anyone that gets in his way? If only I was a killer. I needed to get creative. I needed...

I shot up.

I pulled out my phone and headed into the master bedroom.

Pick up. Pick up!

"Hey, hey, hey", I heard Nina sing.

I threw the flower painting off the wall and opened the safe,"I need your help. No questions asked", I found the  emergency go money Tristan kept on hand just in case he needed to flee the country on a dime's notice. Somehow I would pay him back. If not money-wise then probably on my back. Which was fine.

"O god. Riddle me this is it because of Tristan?"

"I said no questions", I said slamming the safe shut.

"Go ahead", she reluctantly said.

"I need a good but shady lawyer. Someone that works in cash and can work quick", I stated.

"How much cash do you have?"

I quickly counted out the hundred dollar bills,"Seven thousand".

"A little short for the girl I'm thinking about", Nina expressed.

"By how much?" I asked. I didn't want to but I could dip into my savings.

"Like twenty thousand".

"NINA! I could work my entire life and not have that kind of cash just laying around", I shouted feeling hopeless again.

"Hey, now. We can figure this out. Maybe you don't get good. Maybe decent? Serviceable---"

"Jail time", I leaned against the wall and sank down to the floor. It's not like I could even sell my house because technically I didn't own it yet. "Wait. What about a car?"

"Depends on---"

"A 2020 beetle convertible?" I asked.

"That could do it. My mom knows a guy out in Texarkana. Anything you need he'll get", Nina said. We both sat in silence for a moment. I was hesitant about going to Texarkana alone. But, I couldn't take Nina with me. She would ask too many questions and I didn't want her to think of me as a liar.

Texarkana.

I was offered a job there but after seeing the dilapidated community, gangs, heavily graffitied walls and locks everywhere. I knew I couldn't live safely in Texarkana. But I needed to get to Tristan. And God knows what his parents are doing to him if he's even still alive.

I can be brave.

"Ok, send me his address", I said full of resolve.

"You know I'm still in Dripping Springs I could drive up there and we could go together? I just don't feel like it's a place you should go alone. Whatever trouble you're in you know I don't care. I just don't want you to be another statistic", Nina worried.

"I'll be fine. It's not like I'm going to go at night. But, thank you". If I left now I could be back before dark. Texarkana had to be three hours away from Houston.

"Just be safe. I'll text you the address", Nina said if she ended the call and seconds later I got the address as promised

7421 S Lake Dr, Texarkana, TX 75501

I stood up and started to heading to the kitchen to grab my purse. As I put the thin strap over my body started to make my way to the door only to pause with my hand on the doorknob. Nina said this guy was serviceable. Not good or great. Maybe I should bring something to protect myself with. I made my way back into the guest bedroom and open the safe again. Even though Tristan didn't like using guns he had one in the apartment. The gun was perfect for me: small, discreet and deadly. At first the metal was cold in my hand, icy perhaps, yet after a few moments of holding it with my hand wrapped around the handle it started to feel more like a part of myself than a tool of death. Making sure the safety was on I placed the gun in my purse praying I wouldn't have to use it.

I fixed the room back up but as I turned to leave I caught my reflection in the dresser mirror. I wasn't exactly intimidating in my yellow skater dress with gladiator sandals. I went into my closet searching for something that didn't scream Middle School teacher. As I pushed back along closed I looked down and saw Tristan's black backpack.

I was no killer but what would Tristan wear? Just normal clothes, right? So something functional, easy to run in and nondescript. I traded out my yellow dress for black leggings, a pair of black and white Nike tennis shoes in a white v-neck t-shirt. I tied my hair up into a ponytail and instead of taking my purse I opted out for a tan small leather canvas backpack. I have the money, the car and a plan.

I took a deep breath to Center myself before mumbling to myself,"Let's do this".