Red Captains

Chapter 48

Claire

I parked my car on the dilapidated street just across from the office building that looked abandoned. A metal fence covered in barbed wire protected the iron bared windows and wooden door.

O boy.

Deep breaths.

I was here to do business... with a bag money this man could easily kill me for. I had the brilliant idea before I left Houston to put the backpack in the trunk of my car. That was a mistake I should be carrying my gun in my lap.

I need to be brave.

And that started with getting out of the car. I stepped out of my beetle convertible locking the door immediately behind me. I crossed the empty street until I stood in front of the metal gate. My heart hammered in my chest is that push the gate open and made my way up the concrete stairs to knock on the door. "Hello?"

I kept knocking,"Hello!? This is Claire. Uumm Claire Greene. We share a mutual friend Nina---"

The door was forced opened with a kick. A tall man with three day stubble and a wrinkled suit, stepped outside. He appeared to be in his mid-forties. His hair was done very nicely, he had some form of oil mixed in to give a short but noticeable wavy form to the black strands. His forehead was almost square, large and imposing, but not laughably so. A few lines were laid upon it, but they were dismissive as tricks of light. His eyebrows were impossibly straight, his eyes made of rich mahogany. Eyes that told of many secrets but held them locked in a strongbox,"What", He barked.

"Hi, you are Curtis? I'm Claire I called. Well, left a message...", I said extending my hand out for a handshake. He denied it as I let my hand fall back down to my waist. "Uumm... I'm hoping you can help me..".

He rudely scratched his privates before leaning against the door ten grand cash up front".

I didn't like this man. But he was my only chance at getting Tristan away from this family and in the hands of capable doctors and nurses. "Five---" The man started to slam the door as I stop my foot down in the middle of the doorway,"Five now. And rest once I know you can do the job".

"Piss off. Either I get all of my money up front or you can go fuck yourself", he shouted. Curtis stepped on my foot making me pull back as he slammed the door.

Okay.

That could have gone better.

I knocked on the door again,"Curtis! Let's talk about this".

"Fuck off", He yelled on the other side of the door.

Fucking off then.

I stood on the porch front staring at my car. I could try and sell it and maybe I could get $3,000 but it wouldn't be by the end of the day. And with the way this douchebag was acting he could easily take my money and I'd never see him again. Which meant I would never see Tristan again. I couldn't trust this guy which meant I needed someone else. Are needed to revamp my plan. I walked back to my car disheartened and as I sent into the passenger seat I wish Tristan was here. I wasn't some criminal mastermind. I had no idea what I was doing.

Think.

Think.

My main goal was to get Tristan away from his parents and in the hands of a capable doctor.

So I needed...to kidnap him for his protection.

And where could I take Tristan to heal once I got him out of the hospital? And how was I going to do that on a budget. Frist things frist, I need it as much cash as possible. I did a quick sale on my car for $15,000. And even though I had no right I sold Tristan's Audi R8 Coupe as well for a cool $100,000. By the time I made it back to Houston sold the cars to people with money orders iapartment  at night and all the banks were closed. Tristan would have to stay in the hospital for another night not that I could save him today anyway. I had the cash but now no plan. I returned back to the apartment and all my body wanted was rest but my mind was like a hopped-up crackhead. I needed sleep if I was going to do anything. I tossed and turned all night until eventually 3 a.m. rolled around with me not having gotten a wink of sleep. I sat up in the king size bed and grabbed Tristan's laptop.