6

"Virgil?!" Remus and Dee literally burst through the door instantly getting defensive at the scent of another pack. Remus tensed as he looked around and Dee frowned as he struggled and failed to calm his mate down. "VIRGIL!" The two pushed up to the apartment and paled at the mess. "V-virge..."

"He's ok, Remus." Dee bit his lip anxiously as he looked around. "He shifted that's all."

"You sure, Dee? What if..." The two froze up hearing the soft whimper. It didn't take them long at all to run into Virgil's room. "VIRGIL!" There in the center of the room was Virgil in wolf form shaking like a leaf. "Awe... Virgie."

"Remus shift." Dee smiled softly watching their mate shift into their wolf and nuzzle up close to Virgil who tensed and growled. Remus simply licked his face making Virgil look up and growl again only to stop seeing who it was.

"It's ok, Vee." Virgil looked over at Dee who smiled sadly and sat down beside him. "It's just us." Virgil whimpered pathetically as he pushed himself into his friends and Remus licked Virgil's fur like a mother soothing her child. "I'd shift too but there isn't much space here. Don't worry though..." Dee pushed himself in with the two wolves and smiled at the soft purr Virgil let off. That wolf is so much more feline than anything. "... I'm not leaving you."

"You're ok." Dee sighed softly as he watched Virgil's eyes slip shut. "You're ok."

Dee and Remus had been about to see a movie when they got the text. Sure some might think they'd have been upset but they were more concerned than anything. Virgil wasn't as ok as he lets people think. Dee and Remus knew just how much Colt messed him up. He already had anxiety but now... Now it was horrible.

Virgil was traumatized. Dee's caught every single lie Virgil's given him. Of course, he only caught them because of his gift but still. Virgil didn't come out of all that unscathed. The whole packs damaged but... That's what makes them even closer. They all understand each other. 

Sure an alpha is supposed to be strong and brave. He's supposed to be the one who takes charge in every situation. If you were to see how Virgil looked right now, you would not see an alpha at all. You'd see a pup terrified of his own shadow. You'd see someone who needed protecting not someone who would be protecting. You'd wonder what Dee and Remus could possibly see in such a pathetic alpha. And if you were to ask... You'd get your head chewed off.

Those two don't care. They would do anything for Virgil. They weren't lying when they said they would protect each other. They knew exactly how far Virgil would go for them. Why couldn't they do the same?

Colt messed all three of them over. Virgil's and Remus's fears... Dee's trust issues and insecurity... They were all caused by that evil boy. Their pack might be seen as weak but they are closer than any packmates have ever been. 

'Do you know what might have set him off?' Dee frowned hearing his mate speak through his mind and he shook his head. 'It had to be the other pack right?'

"We don't know that, Ray." Remus growled as shifted about till he was wrapped protectively around Dee and Virgil. "It could have been anything. Virgil even has issues with regular dogs."

'Only large ones!' Dee glared over at his mate who simply cried softly. 'Dee...'

"I know, Ray. I'm worried too. Virgil chose me to be his second too and just like before I can't do shit." Dee growled as he laid back against the two practically getting swallowed up by the fur. "My gift isn't even good. I mean what use would being a lie detector do for him? I'm supposed to be his right-hand man. I'm his support but... Colt was right. I'm pathetic."

'Dee, we both know your gift isn't just about seeing through lies. Besides Wolves in your position never have powerful gifts. The gifts they're given are solely for support.' Dee just frowned more as Remus spoke softly. 'My father's second's gift was the ability change his voice... even though most thought all it was only good for party tricks and imitation, he helped my father get out of many sticky situations by using it.' Dee scoffed only making Remus growl. 'At least you have one, Dee. Gifts are only given to Alphas and their chosen seconds. Roman was able to sense things that no one should have been able to. Like when a storm was coming or... When someone in the pack was hurt. We both know what Colt could do...'

"Ray..."

'Every headache... All the pain he caused with his gift... You should take pride in your's Dee. Take pride in the fact that unlike Colt you can do good with it. You can help Virgil.' Dee sighed as Remus licked him lightly to wipe the salty tears away.

"Wait..." Dee looked over at their alpha and frowned. "Virgil... Do you think..."

'The dreams are a part of his gift?' Dee nodded and Remus seemed to smile as he nodded. 'I'm certain they are. Why else would he be having dreams about a boy he's never seen before?'

"Remus, I'm concerned. I know you've said your bother is very... lenient but... He declared Colt an enemy. The only reason he didn't do anything about him was because of you." Remus's eyes narrowed as Dee stared up at the ceiling. "I don't know him. I don't know how he would react to Virgil. He was human and now he's an alpha. He doesn't know a thing about what he is or what he can do. What if Roman deems him unfit and tries to challenge him?"

'He wouldn't do that.' Dee tensed with nerves as tears pricked at his eyes. 'That wasn't a lie Dee.'

"No... It was. It was a lie because you don't know if he would or not." Remus moved until Dee was resting solely on Virgil before shifting back into a human and just standing there with a sad smile. "You don't know what he would do either."

"Roman tried to talk our father into letting me stay. Despite the possibility of me challenging him in the future for the rank of alpha he cared more about me and trusted in what I was telling him." Remus walked over and laid down beside his mate, pulling him in close. "Even if I hadn't told him that I didn't want to be alpha, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have cared. He's kind, Dee. He knows we're here... or well our pack. I told you he can sense things. I wouldn't be surprised if he's known since Virgil started coming here." Dee tensed in fear but Remus just held him tighter. "Yet he hasn't sought us out. He was literally in our base Dee. I could smell him but... There's no sign of any struggle. Right?"

"No. No just... Just Vee having an episode..." Remus laughed as Dee curled into him. "What if he came here and started something? What if he set off the attack? What if..."

"I'm sure if it was Roman who set it off, it wasn't intentional." Dee frowned as he looked up at his smiling mate.

"How can you be so sure? Remember Ray. You were the one that freaked out the moment we got here." Remus just sighed softly as he held Dee close to soothe him, listening to the quiet and calm evened out breathing of their alpha.

"He's my twin, Dee. I know him."