Chapter 22

Athena

We've arrived at his parents' house for this dinner. 

Here we are on the dining table. Nikolas at the head of the table with Julia and me on one side and Romero on the other. 

The awkwardness cuts through the atmosphere as the small conversations lead to never ending questions. 

"So how are you honey?" Julia cuts the tension with a difficult to answer question. 

What am I supposed to tell them? She knows of Romero's girlfriend. 

Am I meant to lie? Say I'm fine and Romero is treating me like I'm the only woman on the world. 

Or am I meant to tell the truth? Say I'm lonely, I'm depressed I want to go back home. 

My words decide for me. 

"I'm good Julia. Just a little bored at home with nothing to do!" I give her a small smile and she nods understandingly.

I don't hear what Nikolas says to Romero but it is enough to anger him. Romero slams his fist down on the table. 

"I won't leave her. Not for this bitch. Not for anyone." He roars eyeing his father with so much hate and fury in his eyes.

"It is wrong son. You are married to Athena now. Let that whore go!" Nikolas reprimands his son. 

I know enough to know that he is talking about Natasha. Romero's girlfriend. 

"DON'T YOU DARE CALL HER A WHORE?!" Romero yells angrily. 

"Get the fuck up Athena. We are leaving!" He shouts at me and I jump. 

"Don't talk to your wife like that Romero! I did not raise you to treat women that way!" Julia snaps sternly glaring at her son.

But both of their words mean nothing to Romero.

"I am her husband am I not? I can talk to her however the fuck I please. Now Athena-," Before he finishes his sentence he grabs my upper arm pulling me out of the chair and towards the door. 

Nikolas scowls and Julia is mouthing I'm sorry. How is that going to help me? 

"Romero you are hurting me." I whimper as his grip tightens when he drags me out the house like a rag doll. 

His steps are too quick for my own and I slip on something and my heels break with a sharp click. 

"ROM!" I scream as I feel his grip tightening and the pain in my ankle increasing.

"You have no right to call me that. Get this in your fucking head. You either call me Romero or nothing at all. Understood?" He pushes my body slightly back but thank god his harsh grip is gone from my wrist. 

I can already see a bruise beginning to form. He called me Ena multiple times before we came to Italy. 

Why is it different now that I'm calling him the nickname I created for him? 

"Only Tasha can call me Rom!" He hisses and drags me to the car by the upper arm. 

He pushes me inside the car and with a loud thud he slams the door. Guess I found my answer. 

He is hurting me. And he doesn't give a shit. 

This isn't the same Romero who would wipe my tears away. Hate to see me cry. Love me endlessly. 

This is the new Romero. The one with a girlfriend. The one with so much hatred for me. The one who likes seeing me alone and helpless. He treated me like a side bitch in front of his parents.