Chapter 8

Athena

Bright white light attacks my line of sight so quickly that I have to blink a couple of times to adjust to it. I look around the white walls. 

Where am I? 

My arm is hooked onto a machine by my side. 

Why is nobody with me? 

Where is everyone? 

What happened? 

I'm in the hospital. 

Suddenly a revelation hits me as I remember what happened some time ago. 

"MAMA!" I scream painfully. 

She can hear me.

She can't be gone. 

My Mama is strong. She's a fighter. 

She wouldn't leave her only child to fend for herself. She wouldn't. 

She can't.

"MAMA!" I yell again as no one has come in to see me. 

The door opens and Papa rushes in with a frown on his face, his eyes are red and puffy like he's been crying. 

"Ssh Athena. Calm down honey. Everything is ok!" He tries to comfort me.

He's lying. 

Nothing is ok. 

"Where is she?" I ask him begging him for reassurance. 

It can't be true. It can't.

"Where is who darling?" He chokes out knowing full well who I am asking about. 

"Mama?" I whisper softly afraid to say it too loud.

Papa looks down at his trembling fingers in an agonising pain. It seems as though he's lost words to give me a reply. 

"She's gone!" He says after a long tense silence. 

"Gone where? I want to see her. Bring Mama!" I cry out like a child. 

I know this feeling that resides deeply in my chest is true. 

Mama is gone. But I don't want to believe it. 

"She can't leave me!" I choke out as I thrash on the bed.

My fists hitting the mattress over and over again in pain. 

"I'm sorry!" Papa tries to comfort me with apologies. 

But I don't want apologies I want my Mama to come back. 

To tell me it is a joke and that it is going to be okay. 

Tears become a bottomless ocean for me to drown in. I'm drowning it feels as though someone has filled my system with water and it's not coming out. I scratch my neck the itchy feeling attacking my body. 

The door opens and he enters. His green eyes filled with an indescribable emotion. 

"Athena!" He nods his voice is void of emotion just like his soul. 

"Get out!" I yell the tears make no move to stop.

"Athena I'm so sorry. Rosaline was truly a second mother to me!" Romero comes closer and touches my shoulder. 

I flinch slightly. When my mother's name comes off of his lips the flip switches inside of me. 

"Don't ever say my Mama's name again. Don't touch me." My voice is strong and full of hatred for this coward standing in front of me.