Chapter 12

Athena

I haven't left my room. I can't. They gave us a week to come to a decision. 

Romero has made his.

But I haven't made mine. I wish she was here.

I trusted her judgement more than anything. I trusted her with my life.

But are her words true? 

Does she think I'll be happy with Romero? 

I'm curled up in my bad with a nightdress on, thinking about the past instead of the future. A knock on my door breaks me from my thoughts. 

"Come in!" I call out. 

It is Papa. He walks in and takes a seat on my bed.

"Hey. Your mother would be so proud of you!" He begins by saying. 

For days I haven't seen Papa afraid of breaking in front of me and making him turn to the bottles for help. 

He hasn't touched a bottle since the night of the funeral. 

For me. 

Because of me. 

"I miss her Papa and I know u do too." I murmur the truth we are both trying so hard to avoid. 

But this truth is coming back to us in the form of remembrance and pain.

"She may be gone physically but she will always be spiritually, mentally and emotionally in our hearts!" He says with a dejected tone.

"Do you remember when we surprised her?" Papa suddenly says.

I remember it like it was yesterday. 

"Aodhan. Athena." Mama's voice echoes in the hallway. 

The power is off and it is eerily silent in the house. Everyone is in the living room waiting for her to come in. 

"Aodhan. Where are you?" Papa next to me senses the fear in Mama's voice. 

"I can't do this." He whispers but I stop him. 

I know he can't stand it when Mama feels anything but happiness. 

The door to the living room opens and the lights switch back on. 

"SURPISE!" Everyone yells and she jumps out of shock. 

Papa runs towards her wrapping his arms around her waist twirling her round and round. 

"Happy birthday Rosa!" He whispers and she smiles. 

"I was so scared Aodhan!" She slaps his chest in mock anger. 

But her smiles shows that she's forgiven him. 

"You were going to ruin it because Mama was scared." I let out a small laugh. 

Papa would gladly jump in front of a bullet for the both of us. But there was no bullet this time to jump in front of.

"Athena, your mother talked to me of your wedding whenever she got a chance. She wanted to see you get married to Romero." Papa says and I look away focusing on the bright lamp light to stop the angry tears from falling. 

"She would be so happy if you agreed to this marriage. After all it is your mother's last wish." He continues. 

He knows that I would do anything to make Mama happy. 

He knows how much this last wish of hers is making me feel. 

He knows I am willing to do it I just need a push in that direction. 

"Ok. I'll break up with Kyle tomorrow. Tell the Moretti's the wedding is on." I whisper unwillingly. 

But the thought of denying what caused Mama's happiness makes me feel guilty and upset. I have to respect her wishes. 

She just wanted what was best for me. I don't know maybe it might turn out alright. 

Papa leaves my room with a small smile on his face and I am left alone with these thoughts plaguing my mind.

The following morning it wasn't easy breaking up with Kyle. 

With no remorse it had to be done. I didn't feel anything for him. That one year we were dating it was nothing. 

No sparks. Nothing. 

Kyle accepted that I didn't want to be with him anymore and left me alone. I cut off all ties with him. 

I'm not the type of person to be unfaithful in something as holy as marriage. 

Alyssa is still at work, Papa has stopped me from working knowing I am going to be married soon. 

Now I'm on the phone talking to Alyssa about everything. 

"I'm getting married!" I blurt out the burden I am going to be holding in a few weeks. 

"What? To who? Kyle?" Alyssa's surprised voice fills my ears. 

"To Romero. It was my mother's last wish and I want to fulfil it. He has agreed!" I tell her everything that has happened since the funeral.

Since we opened those letters. 

"I told you girl it was fate. It was bound to happen!" She tears on the other line and I smile slightly remembering our sleepover. 

"Yeah I called. You have to be my bridesmaid." I offer.

"Of course. I can't wait. But what happened to Kyle?" She asks curiously. 

"I broke up with him earlier today. There was no feelings there. A full year with him but no sparks." I tell her my true feelings. 

"How could there be? Your heart was made for someone else." The conversation is cut short and I end the phone call.

Alyssa makes me forget. 

Her bubbly personality is what helps me. 

When I'm talking or with her it is like nothing ever bad has happened. 

It is like Mama isn't gone. 

A/N:

A short chapter. 

They have both agreed?

What does this marriage have in store for them?

Comment and Vote to find out. 

Soul x