Chapter 11

Athena

The letter is the one that makes me want to break inside. I don't react. But inside, my heart is weeping from this. 

It feels like she is still here with me. 

All those words, my Mama really does know me inside out. I wish she was here. She talks of marrying Romero. She did in the hospital as well. 

How can I ignore my mother's dying wish?

I don't want to marry him. What about Kyle? 

I'm not ready for marriage, I need to be strong.

I can't let another person see this broken shell of my body. I'm bruised, hurt and marrying someone else and forcing them to handle my baggage is wrong. 

I glance up to see Romero reading his letter no doubt something similar about marriage is written in his.

"I WON'T!" He suddenly blurts out and looks up. His angry green eyes locking with my sad light blue ones. 

I knew he would disagree. 

"She talks of Athena and I marrying each other. Impossible. Never going to happen. Why would I want to marry her?" Romero protests furiously spouting hurtful words about me.

"I feel exactly the same. Why would I want to marry you? I fucking hate you. You fucking heartless bastard." I yell getting in his face not showing him how much his words are affecting me.

All the pent up anger from him leaving me 5 years ago resurfacing. 

"Look at you acting like a stubborn child all because I left you 5 years ago. Get fucking over it. Marrying you? In your fucking dreams." Romero's face is red as he roars at me like he thinks he is a fucking lion.

My ears deafen to his words but my anger grows. 

"I'd rather fucking kill myself than get married to an asshole like you!" My hand reaches up to slap him. 

The deafening cracking sound echoes across the room. 

No one stops us. 

Julia and Nikolas are stunned. 

I don't want to look at Papa afraid to see disappointment. Romero's eyes fuel with rage, so prominent, so clear that I begin to fear his reaction. 

But our bickering continues back and forth until Papa's stern voice stops us. 

"STOP IT!" He yells angrily.

We both freeze from our heated argument and look to him.

Papa never gets angry at me it must be something serious. He must be serious. About what? 

"THAT'S ENOUGH!" He continues. 

His anger is not directed at me but the both of us. We both take a seat on opposite couches, still scowling at each other. 

"We can't force the both of you to get married. It was Rosa's last wish. To see the both of you get married. It is your decision on whether you want to respect my wife's decision or not." He snaps.

Julia speaks up, "Rosaline and I always planned your wedding. It was inevitable." Julia. My mother's best friend. 

"I agree with Aodhan. It is your decision. Your choice." Nikolas says in his usual stoic voice.

I glance at Papa and see his distraught expression. I can't imagine how he must feel about this. 

Half of him agreeing with Mama but half of him not wanting to see me go. 

"My wife can't do anything about it. She's gone. She won't come back to talk sense to you guys. You can go your own ways." Papa gets up to leave. 

With that said the Moretti family leave the house. My body still curled up on the couch. 

Why did my mother's last wish have to be something I detest? 

The guilt brews in my stomach knowing if I don't complete my Mama's last wish it will haunt me for the rest of my life. She wanted to see me with Romero. 

But how can I spend my life with someone I absolutely have no feelings for except hate? 

There's an emptiness in these hallways and rooms now without Mama.

An emptiness that will forever taint this house's happiness. 

Because without Mama there is no happiness. 

Not living we are just alive. Just existence.

Romero

As soon as we get back to the hotel I'm restraining myself from breaking the things around me. She slapped me. 

I mean I provoked her. But she said things as equally as bad. 

I admired Rosaline. I wanted her to be my Mom. 

But I couldn't. Now that her last wish for me was to get married to Athena, I don't know how to feel about that.

I can't get married to Athena. There's nothing left in my heart for her. I still cared so deeply for her. 

But not enough to marry her. 

I would want to marry out of love. A love that I have with someone back home.

In Italy. Natasha Rivera. My girlfriend. 

"Romero!" My father's stern voice brings me back to the problem at hand.

"I can't marry her. Father." I finalise even though this decision is probably not mine to even make.

"Romero honey." My mother begins and tries to calm down. 

"It is disrespectful if we don't. Rosaline was a good friend of your father and mine." Her voice begins to choke. 

I know how much Rosaline dying affected Athena but it affected my mother just as much.

20 Years of friendship doesn't go that quick. 

"I know mom but I can't. I've got other priorities!" I hint at her about Tasha. 

They both know of my relationship with her yet still they are provoking me to get married. 

"Rosaline's gone. The least we can do is honour her last wish before dying." Mom tries to put it in a different perspective. 

The only thing I can think about right now is Tasha. Her soft brown hair. Her fucking sparkly green eyes. The way her body fits perfectly into mine. Everything about her I have fallen in love with.

How am I meant to go back home with a wife? 

"What about Tasha? Mom I love her. How can I leave her like that?" I admit.

"I'm sorry." Mom says. 

How do I make her happy? If I agree to this will I still get to see Tasha?

"I agree to this marriage!" I say abruptly. 

Both Father and Mother have elated smiles on their faces from the news. 

"On one condition!" I continue. "I still get to be with Natasha. She still gets to be my girlfriend." 

Mom and Dad look at each other silently speaking with their minds before they make a decision. 

"Yes!"

A/N:

So Romero has agreed to this marriage?

He has a girlfriend?

Do you think Athena will agree to this marriage?

Comment and Vote

Soul x