Chapter 6

Athena

"Ena! Your mother is a fighter." I hear his voice so close to me.

So close i hope he doesn't notice the shiver that runs down my spine. 

So close I hope he doesn't hear my breathing become uneven. 

"Don't call me that!" I hiss still not looking up at him.

Not wanting to drown in those hazel-green orbs of his. His hand touches my shoulder and I pull myself away from him.

"Stay away from me!" I say forcefully hoping he can take at hint. 

He can't. 

"Don't cry like that. She'll be okay!" He says voice full of concern but I shake my head more tears spilling out of my eyes. 

"You lost that right a long time ago. I can cry if I want. My Mama is in there fighting for life and death and here you are in front of me like an unpleasant reminder of the past." I hiss in his face. 

Pushing his shoulders and he stumbles a little. "Nothing absolutely nothing matters to me right now. Nothing except for the safety of my Mama." Yelling in his face as tears continue to stream down my cheeks. 

"So kindly get the fuck out of my face before I make you!"

"Athena!" He pleads with me but I shake my head. 

Stuck in my ways. Not wanting to hear his voice. Not wanting to see him after this. 

"We used to be close friends. But now we are nothing but strangers. So leave me the fuck alone! Papa tell him to leave me alone!" 

But before Papa can even speak Nikolas speaks up. 

"Son, come here and leave Athena alone." The tone in his voice commanding so Romero follows reluctantly. 

With one last look of desperation shot towards me he leaves. 

Turning his back on me the same way he did 5 years ago but this time I don't care. My words were honest and true. 

Nothing matters to me. 

I just want Mama to be safe and sound. I want to take Mama home and I hope they all go back to Italy.

I don't want them here.

Aunt Julia and Uncle Nikolas I can tolerate but him I can't. He is a part of my past that I never want to see unless the circumstances demand.

I can't believe Mama even thought of the idea of marriage to him. 

Unbelievable. I may have been happy with him then but not now.

The click of the hospital door opening sends jolts in my body as both Papa and I get up to our feet walking towards the doctor.

The doctor takes his face mask off and underneath is an expression of sorrow and despair like something bad happened. 

I'm waiting for his expression to change and for him to tell me Mama is okay but the words come out. 

Words I don't want to hear. 

Words that are too real to be true. 

"I'm sorry!" Two dreaded words. 

"We couldn't save her. Mrs Rosaline Valentine has passed away from cardiac arrest!" 

After that all I can hear is white noise. 

Papa's shouts and yelling at the doctors to bring Mama back.