Chapter 1

Athena 

Age 16

"Mama why does he have to leave! No Mama I want him to stay!" I cry into Mama's chest as she hugs my small frame closer to her. 

She strokes my blonde brown hair soothingly whispering sweet nothings into my ear. 

"Ena!" I hear him whisper and I get out of Mama's hold and turn towards him. 

Only he can call me Ena. No one else. 

My light blue eyes are blurred with tears as I stare into his eyes. 

"Don't leave me Rom!" I sniffle. 

I hear Mama leave us both alone to say our goodbyes. 

I feel his hands wipe away my tears. "Ena don't cry. I don't like seeing you cry!" 

Both his hands cradle my cheeks so that my light blue eyes meets his hazel green ones. 

"You can stay with us Rom. Papa and Mama love you. Stay! Stay here with me!" I beg him wrapping my arms around his waist not wanting to let go of him. 

"I wish I could. I'll come back for you amore. One day. I promise." 

With a kiss to my forehead he leaves me alone.

In the garden crying my eyes out until I'm carried inside by Papa. 

He leaves me broken and alone. 

That's the last memory I have of Rom.

5 years later

I don't know why last night I dreamt of him. 

His lies. His broken promises. 

It has been 5 years. Now I'm 21 working at my father's business. 

He choose to leave me and that's fine. I moved on. 

"Athena. You want to get lunch." My colleague and best friend Alyssa makes her way into my office.

"Yes bitch. I'm craving something spicy! Hold up one second." I dial the extension for my father and wait as it rings. 

Finally when he picks up I say, "Papa I am going for lunch with Alyssa. I'll be back later!" I tell him so he won't worry.

"Please take the driver with you." I am about to protest but give in. 

He just wants me to be safe. 

"Ok Papa. Love you!" I say before hanging up. 

"So how are you and Kyle?" She asks as soon as we are in the Italian restaurant with food between us.

"It has only been a year Ally but he is good for me and I feel so loved!" I tell her a blush forming on my cheeks. 

"Have you gone further than kissing?" She asks and I slap her arm playfully before shaking my head now. 

I'm a virgin. I am just waiting for the right time.

After catching up for lunch we head back to work. 

Even though I'm the daughter of the CEO of Valentine Inc, I don't get days off. I work as much as any other employee because Papa wants me to see how tough owning businesses are.

Once the clock hits 5 I head home. 

"Mama!" I call out and she comes rushing into the hallway.

"Inside voices darling!" She corrects me and I smile a little.