Chapter 14

Emma, who can feel the tension between the two of them, pushes them away from each other. "You guys ok?" Christ and Charles both shake their heads and Emma sighs. "This is gonna be a long day."  "Tell me about it." Charles says who hasn't taken his eyes off of Christ. "What is that supposed to mean?" asked Christ as he looks at Charles accusingly. Emma decides to intervene before things get out of hand. "You both need to stop acting like children and do what your supposed to do for Natalie. Charles your here for support so sit by her side and support her. Christ, you're here to do the surgery so go do your job. We can actually go start prepping the OR." Both men look at each other in understanding and do what their supposed to do. Charles sits by Natalie, grabs her hand, and prays for a successful surgery. Christ and Emma leave the room to prep the OR.

"What's his problem?" Christ asked when they were out of earshot. "Well he is Charles Braxton Calvin. We've all heard from the media how he can be."  "Wow, I didn't know he was Charles Braxton Calvin. I thought he was just a random guy named Charles." He says as he laughs. " Man, where did she find that jerk?"  He adds. Emma stops and gives him a sideways look. "What? I know what I did to Nat was horrible but I had my reasons." "Nothing is a good enough excuse for why you broke up with your soon to be wife at the last minute." She says in disbelief.

"Look I know what I did was unforgivable but....... I was just going through stuff. I can't really explain it." Emma shakes her head in dissappointment. "Look Emma, I know, I made a mistake and I regret it to this day." Emma gives him a yea right look and finishes up prepping what she needed to prep as a nurse. "Alright, I'm finna go take care of some things and if I'm not too busy then I'll probably check on Charles before Natalie goes into surgery. I pray that this surgery goes well for her and for her kids." Kids? Christ thought she only had one. "What do you mean kids? I thought Noah was the only one?" "There's a lot of things you don't know but now isn't the time to talk about it. I'll see you after surgery." Emma leaves and tends to her nurse duties.

Hours Later After the Surgery
"It looks like the surgery went well. To be sure, all we have to do now is wait for the anesthesia to wear off." Christ says to Charles and Josie. Christ walks out the room and Charles follows him. "Hey wait up." Charles says. "What's up?" Christ asks him. "Look I just wanted to say thank you so much for what you did, even though it's your job."
"Of course, I try my best with all my patients. Especially ones that are close to my heart."
"Right, speaking of, did you and Natalie ever have a relationship?" Christ chuckles at Charles forwardness and nods. "Yeah we did, but that was a long time ago. I screwed up so we didn't last long." Charles clenches his jaw but nods in understanding. "Look dude...... if you really care about Nat, go for her but stop being aggressive and jealous of every guy she comes in contact with. If you aren't with her, then you have no right to feel any type of way towards a guy she talks to. If you have a problem with that, make her yours. It's that simple. I had my chance and I blew it. So if you want her, go get her and treat her right." He puts his hand out for Charles to shake, so Charles shakes it. "You're right, I'll try my best."