Chapter 6

"Hey, sorry I'm late. I had to finish up my work stuff." Ben says to Natalie when he finally gets to the hospital. He hugs her and she hugs him back but felt guilty at the thought of the feelings she's developed for another man.
"It's ok Ben, I'm just glad your here" He kisses her and she kissed him back with a guilty conscience.
"So, what's happened so far? Is Noah okay?" Natalie puts her hands in her jean pockets and she shakes her head. "Noah has asthma and the doctor doesn't think it's severe so he's okay I guess......."

"That's good. It's a good thing he has you here."  "Yea, which is why I'm staying when Noah gets out. For good." She says as she waits for his response. "You can stay here too. Stay with me."

"Your joking right? You can't be for real right now!" She thought he would've understood but she was wrong.

"Noah will need me. I need to stay, I want to stay. I can't go back to Boston and just go back to my normal life. I need to be here, with my son."
"Are you sure it's only for Noah?" What is he on?
"Are you serious right now? I'm staying for Noah and Noah only and I want you to stay too. Please?" She didn't want to leave Ben, she still cared for him.

"I can't. Enjoy your life here. I hope Noah is all good." He starts to walk away but she pulls him back. "Why are you doing this? Why now when I need you the most?" He yanks his arm away from her and grabs his keys.
"It sure doesn't look like it." He leaves out the doors and drives back to Boston.

She sighs and shakes her head before going back into Noah's room. When she entered the room, she was surprised to see her old boss. "Natalie, I heard that you were back in town and I couldn't resist coming to see you with my own eyes. How's your son?" She smiles and hugs him. "He's fine, how did you know that he was here?" He rolls his eyes before speaking. "Oh come on, Noah is like the second youngest billionaire in the world and it's New York babe, news flys fast around here." They laugh together. "Wow, I didn't even know my son was a billionaire, thanks for the info." He laughs before gesturing for them to leave the room.

"Come with me for a walk around?"
"Sure." She said as they started walking around the hospital.
"So now that your back in town, do you want your job back?" They made a stop at some cafe to grab a coffee before they started walking again. "Now that you say that..... I think I do want it back." She knows he was happy to hear that. He's been wanting her to come back since she left.

"You do not know how happy I am to hear you say that. Okay, all you have to do is sign some paperwork and you're done." She smiles and agrees before they start to make their way back to Noah's room."Great, when can I sign them?" She was actually kind of excited to get back to work, especially at her old hospital.
"So I actually have to go out and physically get them, so it's gonna take awhile. In the meantime, just go be with your baby, and I'll get to you when I can. Welcome back doctor." She nods in understanding before giving him a hug and watching him as he leaves. She then heads up to Noah's room and enters to find Charles there with him as he eats.

"Mommy." He says as soon as she walks in. She goes and hugs him. "Where's Ben?" He asks. "Ben, he-he couldn't make it. But he said that he wishes you the best and hopes your ok." He smiles like he understood everything she just said and then goes back to eating.

After he was done eating, he began watching tv. Natalie goes and sits in the chair in the corner of his room beside Charles. "Hey." He says as she sat down. "Hey." She answered. "So, how's Ben?" She was surprised that he even asked about Ben.

"Wow, What happened to the Charles that hated Ben? Where is he?" He laughs and so does she. "I don't hate him, I just don't like him."
"Mmmmhm"
"Anyway, how is he for real?" She didn't want to answer but she didn't feel like lying to Charles either.

"He's-he's- it's complicated right now." She runs a hand through her curly hair. "Ohh. I'm sorry I asked." She shakes her head and sighs. "No it's fine, it's just, me and him......are in a rough spot right now." He nods and let's it go. As they sat there and looked at Noah, she noticed that his heart rate was slowly dropping. Do you see that?" She asks Charles.

"No, see what?" She gets up and points to his monitor. "That, look it's too low!" At this point, his monitor was beeping loudly and Noah was completely still. "Quick, go get the nurses!" She tells Charles as he runs out the room.

"Nurse!" She yells at the top of her lungs. She was pacing the room, contemplating what to do. She couldn't just stand there, she was a doctor, she knew what to do. She leaned over Noah and started to perform CPR on him, she still didn't feel any air coming out of his mouth.

As nurses and doctors came in she still didn't move away from him.
"What happened?" Max asked Charles as they came through the door. "We were just talking when Natalie noticed his heart rate dropping, then I came and got you." Max nodded before he walked over to where Natalie was and tried to get her away from Noah, but she wasn't going easily.
"Natalie, I need you out of the room please. You're his parent, you can't be in here. We'll take it from here." She knew that Max was right but she just couldn't leave.

"Natalie." He says sternly. "I'm not leaving Max, so you could either, stand there or help me. Either way, I'm not going." She says angrily while still doing cpr. Come on Noah, come on." Max didn't have any other choice, so he decided to help.

Performing CPR obviously wasn't working. "This isn't working Max. Give me a scalpel and a tube." She said to one of the nurses, while thinking of what could be going on inside his body. She brought the scalpel close to his throat. "What are you doing?" Max blurted. "I think theirs something that's blocking his airway. He has to breathe somehow, so if he can't breathe naturally, then maybe I could get a tube in his throat-"
"And then he can breath, because the air will come out if the tube, ok, do it." She took a deep breathe and made the cut before inserting the tube. "Come on Noah, come on baby." Still nothing. "Come on baby, come on." Still no air.

She looks up to Max, with tears in her eyes. "Natalie we have to call it." She shakes her head. "He's not dead ok, we just have to try harder." She said, ready to start cpr again. Max grabs her and pulls her away from Noah. She fights him as he hands her to Charles.
"Noooo." She cried. "Time of death, 19:51." Says Max.