Part 8

I slept through the night, without hearing a bump of the door on the bedside table or much else besides.

I pulled some clean clothes out of my bag and made my way into the bathroom for a shower. Aidan didn’t seem to be awake yet – I saw his door was still closed.

I turned on the shower, but the water had a slightly brown tinge to it, along with a smell that I associated with stagnant fresh water. This didn’t clear, so I shrugged and took a shower anyway. At least the water was pleasantly hot.

I dried myself and dressed, before venturing into the kitchen for breakfast. I had brought some bread with me, so I used his toaster and some of his condiments to make some toast. I settled down on the sofa with my breakfast and a book I’d picked up from the shelf on the wall.

The novel proved dull, so I was bored by the time I’d finished my toast.

I washed up my dishes and wondered what to do. The whale watching boat was due to depart in just over an hour. Should I drive up to the port early and wait on the jetty?

A door creaked open behind me. I spun on the spot, in time to see Aidan emerge from his room, wearing a pair of silky shorts and a t-shirt, scratching his nether regions with one hand. His eyes widened when he saw me.

“I’m sorry, I forgot you were here,” he apologised, hiding his hands behind his back. He hurried into the bathroom and shut the door. He emerged soon after, crossing the living area in quick, wide strides. He disappeared into his bedroom, closing the door behind him.

I heard him muttering to himself for a minute or two, before he emerged, fully clothed.

“Is this okay for whale watching?” he asked.

I tried hard not to laugh. “I don’t think the whales care what you wear. You might want to bring a jacket, though, because it gets cold on the water.” I pointed at my jacket and hat on the couch beside me.

“Right.” Aidan looked determined and went back into his bedroom.