thirteen ▋panic attack

Start from the beginning

They knew the Underboss had his eyes on San, the two of them always knew that. No matter how much Mari didn't respect him, she knew he was good. But he was getting old and becoming an easier target for others to take out. Since the Seo Faction relief heavily on not just their Boss but also their Underboss, a successor wasn't optional now. Especially when the Underboss had or has no children to take his place. San was the perfect fit as well. He's young, talented, born into the mafia, and the Seo Faction's own personal devil. The perfect person to catch the Underboss.

The only reason Wooyoung wasn't a candidate for the Underboss's successor is that her father already got his hands on him. Plus, his fierce loyalty and friendship towards Mari and Mari only made the Underboss think it'd be his downfall. The two snapped out of their somewhat of a daze to hear sudden knocking on her door. Which was odd. No one ever knocked on her door, usually, everyone just came in. She was fine with that, seeing as she was rarely ever doing anything "bad" in her room. Half the time she wasn't in her room. She was usually out and about either doing normal teen things with Wooyoung and San or on a mission.

"Come in?" She said though it sounded more like a question. Wooyoung sat up to look at the door, watching it slowly creaked open. It was almost as if the person behind it was hesitating whether to come in or not. "If you're knocking on this door, you either know who I am or you're extremely new to the mafia. It's best you come clean while you still can." Mari told them, crossing her arms and narrowing her eyes at the door. The door opened up a little bit more, finally revealing the mystery person behind it. "Kang Yeosang?"

"Is this a bad time?" He asked, stepping into the room and closing the door behind him. The boy seemed stiff, uncomfortable in Mari's room. Probably because he had never been inside before. The two of them shook their head in unison and he nodded his head, clearly at a loss for words. He wasn't emitting the same intimidating and powerful vibes he was the last time she had saw him. In fact, he seemed like he had jumped headfirst into this shy and soft demeanor. Completely hiding his terrifying persuasive ways under the big black sweater he donned. "I thought now would be an... okay time to talk about the thing."

The gears were slowly turning in Mari's head as stars slowly began to form in her eyes. She had totally forgotten about her goal in the first place, to show that she didn't need all the protection and benefits her father kept giving her. That she could be treated as an adult, not some horrified teenager with no knew what she was doing. Granted, she was doing a bad job of showing him what she could do on her own. She hadn't gone on a mission in what felt like forever but was probably only a few months. "I can't believe I forgot. I've been so wrapped up in everything else that I couldn't even remember my own goal."

"I can't forget. I'll be your consigliere one day." He shrugged, walking towards her bed and sitting on it with the two of them. Wooyoung and Mari grinned at each other as they made space for him, not wanting their only source of genuine to feel uncomfortable. Though matter what they did, he seemed as straight as log, never once relaxing in their presence. Mari couldn't tell whether or not he was nervous or if he was just genuinely like that all the time. "I tried to collect a bit of knowledge on all your father had done for you so far, which was a lot harder than expected. He really does keep you under wraps, doesn't he?"

She groaned at the thought, nodding her head in response. "Of course he does. If it wasn't for my mom trying to make me have a normal life outside of the mafia, I'd have heavier rules placed down on me. The only thing he has full control of is Wooyoung, seeing as he's my "bodyguard" or whatever. If anything happens to me on a mission or in life itself, it's perceived as Wooyoung's fault. Even if I was the reason it happened. It's completely unfair to me! It's half the reason we're hiding the fact that I snuck out of the manor that one night and got drunk."