XLIV. Many Misunderstanding

Start from the beginning

I twisted my lips before awkwardly glancing at Liam who was talking to Lawson and Gianni. I didn't know what they were talking about, but considering how Lawson burst out laughing, which seemed excruciatingly loud in an empty dark parking lot, it must be funny. Then again, Lawson was the only one laughing, so I question his sense of humor.

"I don't think you understand. Liam...Our relationship-" I shook my head and took a step back. I admit it, I was afraid of being rejected again.

"You say that, but you never know Vivian. I see the way Liam looks at you. It's not a set of eyes of someone who doesn't want you in his life."

My face grimaced, "Does it really look like he looks at me like that?"

She nodded, "Other people can't tell, but I can and you will too. It's difficult to tell from that boy, I understand that much."

"How can you tell?" His face always looks like an emotional bland to me, and everyone says the exact same thing.

Harper chuckled, "Well, I was there with him while he was growing up-" she pulled up her sleeves, "and I was present for all the battles."

There were vast arrays of scars all over her forearms. They were all in different sizes, but with one look, you can tell it was from claw marks, "What happened?"

"What happened?" she repeated my question while lowering her arms. "Vivian. Don't tell me. You don't know?"

"Know what?"

"About Liam's disor-"

"Mum! Papa! Kate isn't feeling well!" Eliana shouted, meanwhile, Kate began gagging in the corner of the car.

"Mum is coming!" Harper shouted. "It was nice meeting you, Vivian. Let's have dinner on another day okay?" she requested.

I smiled and nodded. Harper gave me a tight hug before rushing towards Kate.

We waved goodbye to everyone and settled inside the car. I fiddled with the radio as Liam carries us back to the mansion.

My palms curled against one another. "It was fun today," I commented.

Liam glanced at me before reverting his sight back to the freeway, "Yes, it was."

I laughed, remembering a scene earlier, "I can't believe you could eat five scoops of ice cream that easily."

"I like ice cream."

"Really?"

He nodded, "It's good."

"Then maybe, we should buy more at the house."

He smiled, a very brief small one, "That would be nice."

"Harper is nice. I would see why you would love her."

"That...she is."

"How did you two meet?"

"She was a waitress at a restaurant my parents attend."

"And you all decided to be friends? Just like that?"

I noticed how his expression change more and more as we talk about Harper. That uncomfortable emotion was resuming, "No. It took some time for my parents to accept Harper in our lives, but eventually, they did. Harper is important."

"I-I see." I admit, I was jealous with how much Liam value Harper. I've never witnessed how much he values another woman who isn't his mom. It was so surprising that the question slipped out, "Do you love her...as a woman?"

He cocks his head, and his brows pinched together. There was a sudden rush of silence where the wind from outside could be heard. "Yes." That single word struck me harder than I wanted. "Harper is a woman so how else can I love her?"

I scratched my head at his thrown back question, "Wait what?"

"Harper is a woman, so how else can I love her?" His question started to sound like he was mocking me.

"Are you mocking me?"

"No."

"Then why-" I exhaled, "I'm serious right now!"

I have no right. No goddam right to ask him that question. Interrogate him as if I was still his wife.

"I'm serious too."

I groaned, knowing Liam won't back down. Placing my head on my palm, I turned the other cheek and focused on the dark scenes outside.

"We should do this again."

"What?"

Liam grip tightens on the wheel, "We should go out for ice cream again."
After we reached our destination, Liam was carrying Marisa back to Amoli and my bedroom. It was weird, walking with him. He didn't say anything when he grabbed Marisa, and neither did I.

"Thank you," I said when he placed Marisa down.

"You're welcome."

Another awkward silence, "W-We should."

"Should what?"

"Go get ice cream after work another day or something," I grumbled, before opening the door and stepping inside. I closed it quickly, so Liam wouldn't see my embarrassed face.

Amoli was resting on the bed with her phone on her face. "How come you're home late?"

I unraveled my clothing, "I was...out?"

She gave me a bright smile, "Guess what?"

I pushed off my coat and threw it on the other side of the bed. "You're going to unpack your luggage?" We look over at the hurricane of a mess in the corner of the room.

"Another night." She brushed it off before sitting upward. "I got a date with Matthew Greyson tomorrow night."

And the sex monster had made his move.

The date between Matthew and Amoli didn't catch me off guard. I knew it was going to happen eventually. However, tomorrow, an even bigger event was about to occur.

I never expect to see her again.

Not like this.