XV. The Assistant's Assistant

Vivian's POV:

"I don't know." She grabs her phone and begins clicking on the screen with her thumbs. "I'll message her."

Slinging on my jacket, I grab my purse and keys. "I'm heading off to work," I said, staring at the tennis shoes. I decide to wear a black pair, praying no one would notice. "Tell her to call me. It turns out that my company has private medical plans for workers, and I can make some checkup appointments for Marisa since she is my fake baby."

Amoli look up from the screen. "Can I be your fake sister? I need to get my teeth checked."

"I'll ask."

She gave me a thumb up as I push a foot into the shoes. "Bye!"

"Have a good day at work," I doubt that.

When I arrive at work, I held my head up high or as high as my neck allow. Strolling into the lobby as if I own the place, I wanted to cry.

"Hey, there!" Cheryl chirp from behind the desk. She presses a button, seemingly ending a call as I waltz over, "How are you, sweetheart?"

I gave her a grim smile, "Could be better."

She hovers over the desk and smiles brightly at Marisa. "Hey there cutie," she said, while Marisa sucks on the pacifier. Cheryl settle back down on her chair. "I heard you got a promotion," she said, pulling out a large envelope. "Here's your badge. I apologize for the delay. We tend to wait for a little before making a badge for Ms.Baker's assistant."

I nodded, "I understand," I said, pushing the strap of the badge over my head before exhaling. I stood there and stared at the photo. I cursed myself for not brushing my hair the day they took the picture.

Cheryl settled her chin against her, knuckles, "So, I heard you got your own assistant."

I chuckle, quite anxiously, "You heard...right."

Her head motion to the side, a robotic-like smile still planted on her face. "You don't seem happy."

I bit my lower lip, hearing Marisa raddling her toy. "I...I mean...No, I don't want my own assistant." I decide to throw out the truth.

"I heard."

"You heard?"

"I heard your assistant is some spoil rich brat."

One hand clutch against my stomach and the other banging on the counter; I thrust the upper half of my body forward, and a rush of laughter expelled from my soul. "Spoil rich brat! You got that, right!" I couldn't stop laughing. After some time, I brush the tears off the corner of my eyes. "He is so spoiled."

"You don't like him?"

I ran my tongue across my cheek, "Let's say we aren't in good terms with one another."

Cheryl tilts her head, "Who is the person you're not in good terms with exactly?"

"You don't know?" I question, wondering how she doesn't know that Liam Everhart is my assistant.

She shook her head, "I barely heard the rumor about your assistant. The workers on your floor, for some reason, are tight-lipped." She puffs her cheeks, "Which makes it more suspicious."

"Why is it, suspicious?" I asked, returning her look.

Her eyes narrowed, "Because...I know everything in this company."

I smirk, "There's a first for everything."

She chuckles.

I return her chuckle.