XIV. Something Serious

Vivian's POV:

I tap my foot rigorously against the hard floor as my eyes screen against Amoli. After my lovely day, I went home and waited for her so we can discuss the bad breaking news together.

Sometime around evening she storms through the door screaming: "Cut me off than pita!" then she threw the phone across the living room. At that moment, I realize that someone may have had a worse day then me and that someone happened to be my roommate.

"Your dad is cutting you off if you don't go back to India?" I question.

She nods, further pressing her face against her hands. "He wants me to go back and marry this guy," she scoffed, rushing her fingers through her hair.

I lick my lips feeling the hardcore beating inside my chest.

"I'm so happy you got this great paying internship, Behana." She embraces me tightly, "Or else, I wouldn't be able to tell paapa off."

I sat there, wrapping my arms around her and chuckle along with her. Unlike Amoli, I was laughing with a different type of emotion.

She leans back and wipes off the tears from her cheeks, "You message me earlier about something from your company?"

I sat there, unable to flush down the tight smile on my face. I want to tell Amoli, but it seems that she has enough problems on her plate. If her father is cutting her off, it means she will have a harder time paying rent, college tuition, and a list of other stress will accumulate.

Amoli is basically taking care of me, and the two lives I decided to bring in.

"I...I got cake today," I said.

Her brows furrow and she pushed me lightly on the shoulder. "Geez! You scared me! I thought something serious happened!"

Compare to her situation, my working-with-my-ex-husband doesn't seem as dire.

"Okay. Even if my parents are cutting me off. I can still help around. I have a part-time dancing job. I just need to somehow increase my h-"

I place my hands on top of hers, and she stops talking, "Go to school and graduate. Do not worry about the bills," I said. "I got this." I puff out my chest.

She smiles before sighing, "At least I can stop going to business school and focus on dancing. One less bill to pay," she clasps her hands together before bouncing out of her seat, "I am going to drop all my classes right now!"

At that moment, I couldn't speak any further as she bounces towards her laptop. For someone who cried for nearly two hours about her parents, she never looks so happy. So free.

I release a deep breath as Amoli rigorously click on the laptop. "No more failing tests for me," she sang.

Resting my feet against the chair, I glance around, rolling a strand of hair on my fingertip, "Where is Lisa?"

Amoli shrug, "Probably a late night shift."

"Didn't she leave early this morning?"

She glances up at the ceiling, attempting to recall the memories, "Probably a double shift."

Steadily, I nod before lifting Marisa into my arms. I placed her on my lap and bounced her. Marisa giggle loudly, fluttering her tiny fingers on her cheeks, "Real mommy isn't here, but fake mommy is okay right?" I said, in a baby voice.

Marisa giggled then blow out spit bubbles.

Amoli grabbed some fresh clothes and went into the bathroom to take a shower. Once I heard the water running, I held Marisa closer to my heart, feeling a bit better, "You and me. We can get through this together Marisa," I whisper, feeling her saliva on top of my shirt.