LXXV. Expresso

The phone rang and she stared at the unrecognizable number. Vivian licked her forefinger, pressing her sandwich down. She slide her pinky across the screen, placing it against her ear "Hello?"

The woman, on the other end, twisted her chair as her assistant placed down the schedule. "Vivian Blanc?"

"Yes, may I ask who is calling?"

There was short chuckling before the other end responds: "Cornelius Sutton."

"Ah, yes. Hello, Mrs.Sutton." Vivian bowed her head despite Cornelius being in another building.

"You didn't call me." There was a slight amusement in Cornelius's voice.

Vivian tapped her fingernails against the counter; as the memories of Cornelius offering surface. "I apologize, but I'm going through some stuff, and it slipped my mind. I don't do it often."

"Did you know-" she spoke slowly, "excuses are a tool for incompetent?"

"I-I apologize."

"Don't tell me I made a mistake in my recruitment Ms.Blanc because I don't make mistakes." Vivian swallowed firmly. She understands that the business world is quite cruel where mistakes aren't accepted because a single one can cost from hundreds to millions. "I recruited you because of your talent, not your ability to come up with meaningless excuses."

"Of course not Mrs.Sutton."

"So, tell me Ms.Blanc, should I end the call right now?"

"N-No!" Vivian tucks a strand of hair back. She understands the importance of the opportunity, to earn more experience within the business field and making a name for herself. A clear path in making her own name shine; however, the decision is much more complicated than she can predict.

Liam and Vivian are finally able to glue the pieces of their lives together.

How can she leave him now when he needed her the most.

"Please, give me more time to think about this. I am sorting some personal things right now."

"Don't take too long, Ms.Blanc. Opportunities like this are once in a lifetime." The phone call ended.

Vivian drops her hand; the edge of the phone tapped against the tiles and stared at the sandwich. The door creaked open, entering Liam.

She hopes he didn't hear the conversation. Vivian smiled, "Sandwich?"

He nodded, "Yes, please," he responded, taking a seat.

Silently, Vivian made another sandwich, and with Harper's advice, she knew precisely how Liam liked it. He never mixed the sauces together, always seperating it on both slices. The sandwich should never be cut...ever.

After she finished, Vivian set both plates down and began munching on the delicious layers.

"How's your appointment?" Vivian asked. Liam is still going to therapy to maintain his mental state.

"Good. We decided to give the family more time before I go and visit them. I-I-" He swallowed, "I want to try to talk to them again." He took another bite.

The hardest part for Liam wasn't accepting that he was in the wrong rather apologized to the family. Whenever he sees their faces, he couldn't stop thinking about what had happened that day. Then, his heart began bouncing, lungs constrict, and he wanted to pound his head against a wall.

Vivian smiled, wiping the sauce from the corner of her lips. "That's good. Would you like me to go with you?"

Liam swallowed and place it down, "Do you want to go on a date tonight?"