LVIII. Dealing with Depression

Liam's POV:

The way she looks at me.

It hurts my chest.

She began sneezing, most likely a start of a cold.

I sneeze after her.

I wish it weren't a cold.

Her eyes evaded mine as it concentrated on the dishes in front. I walk over, reaching out for a plate. It dropped on the floor, and her eyes widen. I started to kneel down, "No!" she shouted, "I-I can do it."

I watch as Vivian left the room and returned with a machine. It sucked up all the broken pieces.

Broken.

Broken.

"Liam-" my psychiatrist, Dr.Catalani, called for me.

I continued squeezing the ball in my hand, "Yes?"

"I was asking - how's your day?"

"Good."

"What makes it good?"

"The weather is nice." I've always had a difficult time making conversation with strangers. Dr.Catalani isn't considered a stranger since I've spoken with him a few times, but he still feels like one. Then again, I don't find many people, close colleagues.

"Harper called me...in regards to your breakdown. Would you like to discuss it?"

"I-" The ball was grip tightly in my hand, almost as if it will burst any second. "I...I couldn't...at that time...Vivian...and I was afraid."

"Liam. It's okay," Dr.Catalani reassured me. "Take your time. We don't have to discuss it today if you aren't comfortable enough."

"I...I'm fine." My head dropped down to the white carpet. "I just-"
breathing feels hard to do, "I...I...that child...Vivian...car...I-"

Why is it getting so hard to breathe?

Dr.Catalani settled beside me, patting my back. "It's okay. I'm here. One word at a time. Don't force it all out."

"I-I-"

"Would you like water?"

I nodded, and he stood up to grab a cup of water. With my trembling hands, I gulped it all down, "I thought...Vivian...was going to get hit...and the blood."

Dr.Catalani exhaled and smiled gently, "Liam...that enough. Thank you for your attempt to tell me." I know Dr. Catalani is cautious around me, never allowing himself to force me to tell him too much at once.

We ended the session by talking about his cactus by the window.

"I want you to repeat after me," Dr.Catalani said.

I drank two of the pills he gave me.

"It's not my fault."

"I did not do anything immoral."

"It was a tragedy what had happened."

"I did not-"

After my session, I met with Lawson. "She looks at me...like...there's something wrong," I told Lawson, feeling my throat getting itchy.

Lawson exhaled, pressing two hands together as his forefingers connect then disconnect. "What do you want to do?"

"About what?"