XXXVI. Lessen the Pain

Vivian's POV:

I placed my purse down and gave her a side-eyes glance.

"What?" She leaned inward, "It's not like I'm the only one who is curious."

I look around the room to see a few heads. When they noticed I was aware of their snoopy presence, they duck their heads down, pretending to be busy.

"I don't know," I replied, settling on my chair.

"What do you mean you don't know?"

"Why should I know?"

"He's your assistant!"

I smiled, "Yes, which means, he knows my schedule, but I don't know his-" I flick the folder opened. "Just, so you know. This company has policies such as separating business and personal affairs." I click my tongue.

Her eyes narrowed, "Who would've thought," she hissed lowly. "That you would betray us, your dear co-workers who are like your working family, like this. Now-" she crossed her arms, "You're just another company dog."

I place two paws in the air, "Woof."

She gasped, taking a step back, "How could you? Bowing down to the man that easily?"

"When you sign my paychecks, I'll bow down to you too. Hell, pay me as good as this company does, I'll lick your shoes too."

"Do you have no pride?"

"Pride doesn't keep my belly full and a roof over my head."

She puffed her cheeks, "I was the one who chips in the most for your cake, and I brought the candles!"

I placed a cheek on my palm. "The cake was a bit too sweet."

"How dare you? The cake was perfect!" she spat out. Mila flipped her hair and twisted her heels; then stomped back towards her station.

Hastily, she sat down but fell on her bottom when the chair rolled away. I place the folder over my face to cover up the laughter when she glared at me. Mila stood up and pretended nothing happened.

I shook my head and made a note to buy her a piece of carrot cake at lunch to recoil our workship.

After an hour, a rush of whispers draft across the room. The front door opened, and I look up to see Liam walking inside. I puffed my cheeks to hold back the laughter as Liam's head inside; sweats were dripping down his forehead.

My smile dropped when I realized the glitching pain he was in. He stood in front of me. "I apologize for being late," he spoke calmly. I didn't say anything as he took his seat on the couch.

Earl past by Liam, who was sitting rigidly on the chair. "What happened?" Earl asked.

"I am tardy."

"Yeah...but Liam...You look like you crawled up from hell. Everything okay?"

He nodded, "Yes, I am."

Earl looked at me then back at Liam. He walked towards my desk and slapped me on the arm, "What?" I hissed lowly.

Earl gestured his head, rigorously towards another location. We stepped outside to the hallway, "How could you treat your assistant like that? Do you not see him in his terrible condition?!"

I don't understand why everyone keeps pushing Liam towards me. He isn't my responsibility. I mean, yes, I am the one who hurt him, but we agreed that I would take care of him at home.

It isn't my fault that he decided to hurt himself by taking the stairs.

"What do you want me to do about it?"