XXXVII. New Girl

Vivian's POV:

I sat in the chair, with Liam settled behind me. Right now, we are in the middle of a meeting. I can tell, everyone was anxious.

Becca threw the folders on the table and shouted at another employee. I was fine as long as it wasn't me. I exhaled, swirling the pen between my fingers; attempting to focus at each of her sentences which was borderline threats to her employees.

I felt a tap on my shoulder and whip my head to the side. "Vivian," Mila whispered.

"What?" She pointed in front of me and turned to see Becca glaring at me. Oh, shit.

"Vanessa, do you mind?"

I cleared my throat, knowing I shouldn't look away. "I apologize Ms.Becca but can you please repeat that?"

"Oh-" she placed her palms on the table, an amused scary as fuck smile on her face. "Am I boring you, Veronica?" Her polite tone was even more frightening.

Quickly, I shook my head, "N-No. The meeting is very...enjoyable." I added a few chuckles, but truthfully I wanted to shit myself.

Becca leaned in closer, "Oh?"

Everyone lowered themselves, and I knew I was alone. I smiled, "Y-Yes. I agree with everything you stated," I decided to kiss up.

"Oh?" Her refusal to scream at me made me sweat even more. I look at Mila, who nodded her head, mouthing: "Yes."

I nodded, "Yes," I forced myself to say.

Becca smile widens as she stood up straight. "Perfect." She folded her arms below her chest, "Then, I presume you will stay late tonight to finish the project?"

I took a few blinks to wipe away the tears. "Y-Yes."

Becca placed a hand on her chest. "Everyone. Learn from Venus-" my co-workers are used to Becca giving me different names, "Let's give her a loud round of applause."

Everyone clapped for me.

I smiled.

Fuck you.

Fuck you.

Fuck all you chickens.

Bawk! Bawk! Bawk!

I look at Mila who gave me two thumbs up and a heart shape with her fingers. She must be happy that she doesn't have to stay late. Freaking little traitor. I thought we were in a workship! I'm definitely not getting her a slice of cake after this.

Hell, I'm going to buy myself a piece of cake and eat it too!

That will show her!

After I finished my work, I packed up and got ready to leave this horrific day behind me. Earlier Amoli dropped by to pick up Marisa, so I didn't have to do it. When I reached the streets, a car pulled up. The tinted window rolled down, revealing a young man, and I pretended he wasn't there.

"Get in."

I tuck my mouth over my teeth, feeling cold. I opened the door and jumped into the warm car.

My eyes narrowed when he pulled into emergency lane. "What are yo-"

He inched closer to me.

The air caught in my lungs as he closes the distance between us, "My medication."

"What?"

Another trace of silence, "My medication."

I grabbed Liam's bottle of pill and tapped it out onto my palm. Quickly, he grabbed it, inhaled a sharp breath before throwing it in his mouth. I watched as he swallowed it fiercely as if he was forced to consume something lethal. Then, the realization arrived, and I grabbed a water bottle from my bag.