XXXVIII. Gold Platter

Vivian's POV:

After another day of finishing my work at 9 pm; I was drained - physically and emotionally. This has to be illegal.

Earlier, I message Amoli about my late-night shift, and she agreed to pick up Marisa before resuming her servitude at the house-mansion.
Once I look up from my desk, I recognized the emptiness inside the room. Everyone had already left.

I grabbed my mug that says - Best Mommy in the World - the one where Marisa got for me, but I had to pay for it. Yes, I shamelessly purchase a mug for myself but the design was too cute not to buy. I got a baby now, might as well use her.

I filled up the mug with coffee before walking back to my desk. After another half an hour, I decided to call it a night and turn in whatever I had accomplished. I entered Ms.Baker's office and settled down the folders. Inside the isolated room, I halted and turned my heels to see the bright lights outside the company. Silently, I sat down and sipped on the mug as my eyes scanned the surroundings.

"Nice, isn't it?" I heard Becca's voice and immediately stood up.

"I-I'm sorry. I didn't know you were still here." My heart was beating against my chest, "I thought you went home earlier," my voice was low.

Becca walked forward, and I stepped back, knowing my rightful position. She didn't sit down; instead, circulate the leather chair. "If I went home; does that give you the right to do what you did now?"

Quickly, I shook my head, "No, ma'am."

Steadily, a smile appeared on Becca's face as she sat down. "Relax. I'm not angry." She released a deep breath as her eyes scanned the surroundings. "It's good to have ambitions. If you don't aim for a higher position, how else can you climb up?"

I bit my lower lip and looked up from the floor, seeing the lights basking against Becca. "Was there a reason why you came back?" I steered against the topic of me wanting to take over her seat one day.

I mean, it doesn't sound bad because it seems like I can yell at people whenever I want. Plus, surprisingly, I'm good at the business aspects of fashion. I'm not good at creating new fashionable ideas, but I'm outstanding at choosing other's ideas and promoting it.

Becca spun her chair around and turned on her computer. "I needed to finish some reports." She chuckled lowly as her fingers played against the keyboard. "I went home to grab some documents." My eyes moved towards the stack of folders settling on the table.

Watching her work makes me wonder if she always comes back whenever she left. Everyone in the company called Becca, an intelligent woman, but maybe she is simply a hard-working person.

"Do you always do this?" I immediately regret that question.

She stopped typing momentarily before resuming. "Veronika, do you know how I got up here?"

"Hard work and a big dreams?"

Becca's shoulders lifted slightly. "Kind of-" she responded, "But, it's mostly because I'm a genius." Maybe Becca is the one spreading the rumor of being called intelligent.

Her lip curled upward once more. "Growing up; I didn't have much." Her voice seemingly echoed in the quiet workplace. "My parents were uneducated migrants who worked on landscaping for a living. When I was younger, I thought it was embarrassing to have parents who work on other people's yards. I refused to let them pick me up at school, and I told them to pretend not to know me when they work on my friend's yard."

"That's-" I didn't know how to respond, and my heels were killing me. I look over at the couch, wondering if it's appropriate to sit, but this situation seemed too serious to request such an action.