Chapter 37

I couldn't hold my tears that flowed down my face like an unstoppable waterfall. I looked down because I didn't dare to look at Xiu Min's face.

What will he think of me now?

Will he change his mind?

Will he leave me just like everybody else?

But I was wrong.

And for the first time, I was glad I was wrong.

Xiu Min placed his palm over my head and pulled me into another hug. I buried my face against his chest, holding his shirt as I cried harder. I could feel him caressing my head gently, another hand on my back. He held my tight, as if he didn't want to let me go.

"Oh, Byeol... I'm so, so sorry." His voice was shaky as he sniffed his own tear.

I let go of him, finally looking at his face.

His eyes were red and teary, his mouth in an upside down curve, and he looked at me like I was the most fragile thing in the world.

"If only I knew you back then, I would've protected you and your grandma with all my life." He couldn't contain his tears and finally lets it streamed down his cheeks.

His reaction to my story was something I've never expected, and I was sincerely moved by his tears. He was not even a part of my life before but he cried as if he knew me for such a long time.

Xiu Min, you're definitely one of the most pure hearted people I have ever met.

I casted him a weak smile, my turn to give him a hug. I wrapped my arms around his neck and leaned in towards him, letting our bodies intertwined again in a warm embrace.

For the first time after that incident, I was actually happy to tell someone about my story.

-

The next day, I woke up just to feel hands over my body. I fluttered my eyelids a few times to see clearer and widened my eyes to realize that Xiu Min's chest was right in front of me. Well, not really his bare chest, just his shirt.

What the?

I immediately pulled myself out of his hug and saw him still in his dreams. My blanket was hanging from the bed, half of it mostly on the floor. Last night's emotional talk clicked in my mind as I gasped.

"Oh my gosh." My mind went blank. "We... slept together?"

Suddenly, he slightly moved, moaning softly. "Byeol, I'll..." he then paused as I just stared. "I'll protect you..."

I could feel my cheeks heating up as he turned around, his back now facing me. The hug we had last night and the personal talk of my life started to fill my mind again, causing me to froze. I had no idea how to react in this kind of situation.

"Ommo." I quickly tidied up my hair and decided to get out of the room.

I managed to pick up the blanket and cover Xiu Min up before I ran out of the room, shutting the door as quietly as possible.

With a relived sigh, I turned around.

"Oh my gosh!" I gasped in shock when Sandeul appeared in front of me, frowning. "You scared me!"

"Huh?" He lifted a brow. "Why are you whispering?"

I blinked twice, gulping. "G-good question. Nothing!"

"Hm... really? I heard about last night."

My eyes felt like popping out as my jaws dropped. Did he listened to our conversation? Ommo!