LI. Background Check

Start from the beginning

It wasn't a lie. Amoli was there from the beginning to the end. She was there for every teardrop, every late night tv show binge when Liam wasn't home, pick up every phone call. She never once complained when I balled myself inside her bedroom and cried about Liam.

I exhaled, "Fine. Dinner."

Amoli smiled and clasped her hands together. "We are going to have the best time."

"Can I at least know why Liam is there?"

Amoli shrugged, "Matt suggested it." She can clearly see the displeasure on my face. I don't know if she notices it or not, but things aren't great between Liam and me. "I'm not going to ask you to be nice or force you to talk to Liam. Just be there for dinner and get to know Matt a little bit better."

When Amoli left and with the door closed, I scowled the word: "Evil."
Because that's what Matthew Greyson is - the reincarnation of all that is sinful.

He knows Liam, and I aren't in decent talking terms right now despite our minor bonding due to work. I know in his sick mind, he is enjoying this like a comedy play.

After work, Liam and I went back to the house to prepare for our not-a-date.

"Why did you agree?" I asked him inside the car.

"Because I enjoy the restaurant, Matt suggested."

I lifted a brow, "Really?"

"Yes."

"This is not a date." I clarify the status between us.

He nodded, "Yes, I know."

When I reached my bedroom, it looked like a tornado attack it. There were clothes everything along with makeup scattering across the bathroom counter. I look at Lisa, "What happened? Did a rabid dog got in?"

"Oh!" I can hear Amoli's voice from the walk-in closet. She rushed out, "Which one?" She held up two dress.

"The blue?"

"Why do you sound so uncertain?"

"The blue," I put more power in my voice.

She looked at both dress and grunted. Immediately, she rushed back inside. I exhaled and went to take a shower. After washing my hair, I grabbed the shaver. I stood there, staring at it. Then, I put it back. "You do not need to impress no man."

With my slightly hairy legs, I stepped out of the shower with the utmost confidence. "This isn't a date. This isn't a night where you'll get laid; so why are you worried?" I scoffed at my own statements. I grabbed a bathrobe and started airdrying my hair.

I walked out and into the closet. Immediately, Amoli rushed past me with eight dresses. I glanced at the pile of clothes on the bed and Lisa, who was still sitting in the same position.

My hairy legs stop in front of the clothes. "Lisa?"

"Yes?" Lisa responded from outside.

"How are you settling?"

"Fine. Everyone is really nice." Now, I know she is lying already. Gosh, I'm such a negative nanny.

I found a pair of jeans and a basic white t-shirt along with ankle-length boots. "I'm glad you're adjusting." Now, it's a time to interrogate her a little bit. I want to fully trust Lisa, but her intention to keep her past with Liam a secret makes me a bit suspicious. "Did Amoli tell you?"

"Tell me what?"

"The stay here is temporary." I put on my lingerie.

"It is?"