XXXVIII. Gold Platter

Start from the beginning

"You can say it. I was an ignorant child; placing my friends in above of my own family."

"But, you're working hard now so your parents won't suffer, right?" I tried to find the brightness in the situation.

She smiled, "Are you always like this?"

"Like what?"

"So naive."

My smile flattened.

Becca crossed her legs. "How long are you going to pretend to be an adult?"

"I-I don't understand what you're saying Ms.Baker."

"You speak as if you're standing for those who are unfortunate in society, but I can tell from reading your educational background, you live quite a fortunate life."

"My educational background does not represent all of me."

"But your actions do." She lazily rests her chin against her palm. "You may be dressed in regular clothing, but I can see you're different from everyone around you; even your friend. You were never taught the properties of fashion, but you knew it as its second nature. Your speech, body language, and method of thinking is different from regular citizens."

"You're over analyzing things Ms.Baker." I forced myself to say those words.

"Do you believe I wouldn't do background research about you? Ms.Blanc...Ms.Everhart." She expelled a breath, "I still do not know what to call you."

You can call me Vivian like everyone else.

I frowned, "Why did you hire me?"

"Don't you know? Recoiling relationships are my specialty."

I'm not so ignorant, not know what she is saying, "Liam does not want me as his wife."

She quirks a brow, "I never said Liam was the one who requested this."

"Then who-" I scoffed slightly, "Liam's parents."

"Wow. Have anyone ever told you how smart you are?"

I fought the urge to roll my eyes. "Why would you tell me all of this?"

"Because I wanted to see the look on your face." First, Matt and now Becca. Everyone around me is a sadist.

"You...don't like me."

"Not in the least," she said, still with a smile.

"Why not?"

"Do you really not understand why I dislike you?"

I gripped my hands together. "I'm not dependent on my parents anymore. I-"

"But, you are dependent on your in-laws."

"I didn't ask for them to do this."

"Similar to how you never asked for everything else to be handed to you on a gold platter. Oh, poor over-privileged little Vivian."

"If you knew all of this, why didn't you push me away?"

She spins back towards her computer, "Why should I? This is an opportunity for me to climb up."

"I don't understand your words."

"Then, let me be honest with you." She stood up, "I don't like you, princess. So, stop behaving like we are getting close. Frankly, I dislike the way you're pretending you're independent when in reality, you're still a spoilt little girl. You're 20 years old, stop acting like you understand the hardship of the regular hard-working people all because you have a few long nights."