Retrieval

Cal Romano gritted his teeth as he read over the response that had eventually been given by Saki's mother. After eight weeks of waiting for a response, he had finally received a letter from Mizuko Mitsurashi, written with a bright blue pen. One of his gang's members was reading it aloud.

Mr. Romano. I have taken your offer into consideration, however, my the life of my daughter is of no importance to me. Do with her as you please. Sincerely, Mizuko Mitsurashi.

Romano grinned suddenly, looking at Saki with devilish eyes. “Heh, what a cruel dismissal she gave 'ya kid. A fate worse than death. Don't worry, I ain't gonna forget about 'ya.” He cracked his iron chain and snickered.

“Why won't mom rescue me?” Saki asked in a low voice, “Does she not care about me?”

“Seems like it, cutie,” One of the gang members said, grabbing her arm.

“Let her go.” said a woman's voice from the shadows of Romano's hideout. As she stepped forward, her blonde hair turned to green, and her blue eyes glowed in the shadows. She stood idly as an onslaught of knives were thrown forward from behind her. Several of the knives impacted Romano's henchmen, rendering them unconscious.

Midori Verde smiled at her prey, her neon blue lipstick shining brightly against the dim lights of Romano's room. Blue fire surrounded one of her hands as she shot a jet of flames at Romano, who ducked to hide behind a slab of metal.

“W-What the hell are you?!” Romano shrieked with fear. He threw his chain up to hit Midori with it. She caught it in her hands and lashed out at the metal slab, laughing hysterically.

“Uwahhhh!” Romano screamed, running from the woman who now held his weapon. Midori dropped the chain on the ground and looked around her and Saki at the dead henchmen of Cal Romano. As the smoke cleared up, her hair returned to its blonde tone, and she held out a friendly arm to Saki, who was crying on the ground with fear.

“Hey, you alright?” Midori asked Saki, helping her up. “Looks like Romano got another pretty face.”

“Ahh! Don't hurt me!” Saki cried, flinching as she pulled away from Midori.

“Relax,” Midori said, “I'm your friend. My name is Alexis.” She looked into Saki's eyes with worry, giving her a warm greeting. “Listen, I want you to know something. We've met before. I'm your older sister that our father never told you about.” She smiled as though she wanted Saki to trust her. “Our mother isn't doing well though, and neither is our father. He's being threatened for his money.”

“That's terrible!” Saki cried, “Why is daddy being threatened?”

“They want his money, Saki. I'm going to take you someplace where you will be safe. Our mother is suicidal, Saki.” Midori told her. Saki didn't know what suicide was, and she gave Midori a confused look.

“Will mommy be okay?” Saki asked, frowning.

“Why does it matter to you?” Midori asked, “Mom didn't care if you died or not. She told Romano he could do anything to you. Why should you care if she'll be okay or not?”

“Because she did care about me!” Saki protested, “Mommy's probably just having a hard time, is all!”

Midori looked down at Saki, admiring her confidence.

You'll never learn the truth though, little girl. Maybe it's better that way...