Prosecutor Yukii Nomura's Guide to Debate

Over the years, I've realized just how resourceful I can be in an argument. I've learned to maintain my composure through the flames of disagreements. It wasn't exactly clear to me until I had an argument with someone who used to be a close friend of mine. I had begun to consider not being friends with him any longer after a disgruntlement between him and his younger cousin. There were three things I had kept in mind with this debate—Be resourceful, be respectful, and be resolute. They were the three R's of debate.

To be resourceful meant to know your facts. In a situation where the past is at stake, which is most of the time, a perfect recollection of events must be compiled into both parties minds. Many of these events are alluded in the minds of both parties, yet deluded by error and mistaken recollections. To win a debate, all resources MUST be factual.

Second, it is absolutely necessary to respect the points raised by the opposing party. This means keeping an appropriate tone of voice, and a calm and respectful vocabulary. Entering an argument with a bombardment of curse words in the arsenal of your vocabulary will only lead to violence between you and the other party. If the opposing party fails to show respect, continue to regard this rule, recognizing their lack of maturity in conflict as a tight spot for them in the debate.

Finally, be certain to resolve the conflict. If one leaves an argument inconclusive, the situation may worsen or become altered negatively. Always end topics on a closing note, to assure they do not arise in later affairs. Conclude each statement with a final remark that creates a point. If you find you've been placed on the spot for an accusation, be sure to prove the legitimacy of this claim. Use as much evidence as possible to prove yourself innocent.

Most importantly, after applying the three R's of contemporary—or alternative—debate, make sure to end the debate on a decisive closing note. A simple “farewell” will suffice, or you can take it a step forward and place a hint of modesty in your statement. “I wish you the best” is acceptable in this case.

When the case comes to a close, be sure to bury your trail. Leave the past behind you, and look on to the future. In the words of John F. Kennedy – “Those who look only toward the past, or the present, are certain to miss the future.” The meaning behind his words of wisdom were that no matter what happens in the past, and what is happening right now, will mean nothing if you do not think of what is yet to come.

That leads us to the most important rule of debate—Never look back! Don't dwell on a situation for long, or else you'll miss everything placed in front of you. Look not to the ground below you, nor the road behind you, or you'll end up hitting a wall—the future.

So remember. Be resourceful. Be respectful. Be resolute. And NEVER look back.

-Yukii Nomura, Attorney at Law.