A Shiv's Blade Seldom Grows Dull

Dominic scoffed as he struck down one of the prison guards with a shiv. “Crazy bloke,” he insulted him as the officer trembled in pain, “Now then, how about telling your mates to stand down?”

“Over my dead body,” the guard growled, standing on his feet again. Dominic smiled, holding the shiv firmly in his hand.

“I'm sure we can make such arrangements,” he said. As the guard reached for an intercom device, Dominic lunged forward and jabbed the guard in the neck. “I'll kill each and every one of you if need be.” The guard grunted as he fell on his face as blood leaked from his throat. “After all, a shiv's blade seldom grows dull.” He smiled smugly as he sprinted past the guard, leaving him cringing in a pool of his own blood.

“Sir, prisoner T-666 is escaping!” A female officer said to her commander. The room was dark, and the commander's face was seen only by a dim light. A smug grin could barely be seen on his face, as though he was expecting something to happen with this particular prisoner.

“Do whatever it takes to prevent it,” the commander said in his deep voice, “Just do NOT let him escape alive.” The officer gave him a nod and calmly walked out of the room.

Dominic rushed down each cell block, taking down any guard that stood in his way with his shiv. He looked behind him to see a row of guards, cringing on the floor in pain, some more brutally wounded than others. He smirked at the sight of people in pain, as if he were arroused to know that he was the one who was responsible for so many people's pain.

He could see a light in the distance of the prison tunnel. One that wasn't flashing red, as were the emergency alarm lights above him. It was his freedom, and he knew that there would probably be some sort of obsticle standing in his way. He knew he would need to expect these things the moment he planned his escape. His suspicions were correct. Standing in the entryway to the prison hall was a woman with long black hair, one who Dominic knew all too well.

“I'm sorry Dominic, but I can't allow you to leave this place,” the woman said. She gazed intently at Dominic's weapon, being cautious of him.

“Miradelle,” Dominic's voice trembled as he spoke, “ You won't betray me, will you?” he asked, “How can you even consider standing in the way of an armed man?”

“You may be armed,” Miradelle said, then in a warning tone, “But if you don't step down, I'll be forced to kill you.”

He smiled at this remark. “So before the end of the day here, one of us will die,” Dominic observed. “Perhaps that is quite with me. I've lived my life. Until the government realizes they're in the wrong, I'll always be in their shadow. Then perhaps I'm not the oaf who will save this world.”

“You really thought you were?” Miradelle asked him, “You just tried to execute a prison break. You killed about eight guards with a shiv. Trust me Dominic, you're no hero.”

“Possibly true,” Dominic said, “but I'd be a fool to allow a broad like you stand in my path.” He smiled at her, pointing the shiv at her threateningly.

“And I'd be a fool to let a pretentious jerk like you escape,” she joked, smiling back at him as she pulled out a pistol. “Good night, Dominic.” She pulled the trigger on the gun, and a small dart left its barrel. Within seconds, the dart pierced Dominic's skin, and the tip of the dart sank into his neck. He fell to his knees, then collapsed. He lay unconscious on the prison floor. “Maybe when your time is up, everything will work out,” Miradelle said, “But now's just not the right time.”