Winter Ashes

Asher White smiled modestly as he looked at his computer screen. He had been conversing with an old friend of his for a while now. He brushed his black hair over his eyes and straightened his red cap. The person he was speaking to was using the handle of Anpan, which was also a type of bread.

Are you sure?

Of course I'm sure.

It is a choice that cannot be undone. Do you really want to forgive her?

Of course I want to forgive her.

That's right. No crime is unforgivable, so long as the other person is willing to make an apology.

You're right. Thank you, Ash.

He looked at the screen, nodding slightly as he stood up. He straightened his silver coat and red t-shirt and put on a pair of white gloves. The way he had his jacket zipped looked rather unprofessional, so he decided to unzip it and re-zip it all the way to his chin. He calmly turned the knob with his left hand, pushing it up rather than down, and tapped the door with his knee. As he stepped into the red hallway carpets, a girl wearing a blue dress and headband stumbled in front of him, dropping a glass of red wine on the carpet.

“Oh goodness!” the maid cried, “Sir Asher, I'm so sorry!”

“No need to apologize, miss Fuyuko,” Asher replied, “Accidents happen, do they not?” He smiled at the maid, Fuyuko. Her name meant “Winter girl” in Japanese. Fuyuko was the eldest of four sisters, from youngest to oldest, Haruko, Natsuko and Akiko. The four of them were the servants of Zack Feral, an 8 year-old child who came from a wealthy family.

She looked up at Asher with teary eyes. “You really aren't mad?” Fuyuko asked him. Asher smiled back at her.

“Certainly not,” he said, “After all, no harm done right? It was only spilled wine on a red carpet.” Fuyko laughed a little as her expression lightened.

“Y-yes, I suppose so,” she said, “Yet still I feel bad. You should at least express a small bit of displeasure for my mistake...”

“Absolutely not,” Asher answered, “For even the most vile crime can be forgiven.”

“But how? Even murder?” Fuyuko asked, not understanding Asher's logic.

“It's quite simple,” Asher began, “we all make mistakes at one point or another. If one is willing to make up for the error they have made, any apology can and should be accepted. Not a single thing in the world is unforgivable.”

“I see,” Fuyuko looked at her feet a she reached for the glass of wine she had dropped. Asher smiled at her as he grabbed her arm, picking up the glass himself.

“A true gentleman does not allow a lady to fall to her knees,” Asher remarked, placing the glass gently on the plate Fuyuko held. “Now run along then, we had best not keep Master waiting.”

“Oh that's right!” Fuyuko exclaimed, “We must hurry, but this wine wasn't for Master...”

“Oh?” Asher asked, “Why, then whoever was it for?”

“Akiko requested I deliver it to her in the kitchen, so she can cook tonight's banquet!” Fuyuko explained gently, “I musn't keep her waiting any longer! Farewell, Sir Asher!” She rushed off in a hurry, tripping over her own feet a bit. Asher smiled and looked off to the side.

I'm not entirely sure how she gets off being so clumsy, but I suppose I can forgive her for that too.