Arakawa's Study of Emotions

Study of Emotion by Dominic Arakawa

3.28.2050

I’ve read countless scriptures that collect the studies of ancient prophets. Words scribe to me that emotions are caused by a chemical imbalance in the human immune system, and the brain. The truth I’ve been seeking within these manuscripts and monologues is the source of human emotions. It’s been five years since I began, but I believe I’m finally closer.

4.1.2050

I should have noticed this before. Today is April Fool’s Day, or so was noted in a scripture I read. The ‘holiday’, or so it says in the scripture by Frank LeWright, was made for pulling pranks on other people in a sign of good sportsmanship. However, after further studies, it seems that such acts could be considered hurtful rather than jokingly. Hurtful acts that can lead to pain, pain itself being one of the emotions I have studied. I wonder if condoning such acts is truly acceptable.

4.30.2050

I have concluded that emotions are nothing more than illusions. When someone is giving off negative vibes, whether it is through their actions, through their words, or through their own emotions, it is likely to spread on to those around them. This needs further testing.

5.17.2050

My studies of the human emotions that surround me have shown that the less negativity that is produced, the less negativity that will be seen. Although this may seem obvious, I believe there is more to it. This still needs to be tested further.

5.28.2050

I’ve been studying stress-relief books for the past two weeks. They present many contradicting ideals. While most of them agree on one thing—that venting off your stress by talking to another individual is the best exemplary way to relieve such stress—there was one piece of literature that disagreed. In the book ‘An Alien’s Guide to Self-Esteem’ by Fredrick Swanson, it is mentioned that venting is perhaps the worst way to express emotion, as this will only pass the emotions on to another individual, if it even gets if off of the one expressing it to begin with. Looking at it as a third party, I agree with Swanson’s scriptures. If one vents to another, the burden is simply carried onward to another individual. They begin to wonder, ‘is my friend okay?’ and in turn, express emotions of worry and fear. In the end, isn’t that worse than feeling emotions yourself?

6.30.2050

During the past month I have experimented with the ideas of Fredrick Swanson and Frank LeWright. I’ve come to the conclusion that emotions will not hurt others while conveyed through means of inanimate or unresponsive subjects. So how does one convey their emotions, then? I’ve also proven that conveying them to inanimate or unresponsive subjects reflects them back at the individual like a mirror, in some cases, making them more painful. The goal and ultimately the conclusion I must arrive at is a way for emotions to be conveyed without actually conveying them. The matter requires further attention.

7.18.2050

If the idea I touched on a few months earlier is true, that emotions are simply illusions, then is it not possible to rid the mind to such thoughts by simply ignoring them? The thought requires further testing.

8.3.2050

Of course, it was so obvious! In order to avoid stress and emotions, one must simply ignore such entities! The only question is what if something forcesone to give attention to the matter? Clearly it is better to convey emotions than to pay the price of one’s life—or one’s sanity—especially when held at gunpoint, to a hypothetical situation.

8.4.2050

A thought came to me overnight. If emotions are illusions, that means they aren’t there. It also means that one has the ability to filter out such thoughts if they are not desired, as well as feign ones that are not preexisting. Noting this, it is most definitely possible to feel happy while also feeling sad. I shall call this ‘Second Outer Shell Theory’, better known as SOS Theory.

8.7.2050

I just realized the irony in SOS Theory. In the past, people who showed happiness while having an incredibly horrid lifestyle were constantly seeking help. Putting on a smiling face every morning, coming home to a dark room to rot alone in their own tears, they would be sending out a cry for help. Should someone realize just how awful they lived at home, they would surely be reached out to without any hesitation. Could this be what a human heart desires? For compassion to be shown without having to give any form of request? This changes everything. The idea of SOS Theory must be elaborated on.

9.2.2050

SOS Theory, the idea I created a month ago that assumes that people can feign an emotion they are not feeling, such as showing happiness when they really feel sadness. At the time, this idea seemed to be probable and a perfect way to avoid stress and the illusion of emotion. However, it seems that the opposite may be true. One cannot truly be happy if they simply pretend they are. Perhaps it would be better noted that one needs to either ignore or eliminate the cause of the negative energy around them?

9.11.2050

49 years ago today, the twin towers in New York, USA were struck down by terrorists. As I look back to that day as it is transcribed in history books, I realize that there are some scenarios that just simply cannot be avoided or ignored.

10.7.2050

About a month ago, I noted the unavoidable negativity of September 11th, 2001. As I overheard a high school girl crying to her friends this afternoon of her mother not allowing her to attend a harvest festival with her boyfriend, I considered something. How does one avoid the pain of rejection? For something she feels so strongly about, spending time with one she loves, to be denied by someone of a higher power, it seems it would be impossible to place a smiling face on and say “I don’t mind”. It becomes increasingly difficult when all those around her are at the harvest festival while she is in her home alone. Why, the loneliness factor would make me depressed as well.

10.18.2050

But what is perhaps it were possible to make a positive note of a rather negative situation? In that case…yes, then it would be possible to ignore the negative emotions presented.

…Brilliant.