XL. Horrible Excuse

Start from the beginning

"Oh?" She cocked her head, "My words got into the great Matthew Greyson's mind?"

"It sure did."

Oh. Bullshit.

He smirked once more, "I appreciate your concern."

Amoli stood up straight, "You're welcome."

"Do you need a ride to work?"

Do not do it, Amoli!

"Yes. Yes, I do."

"Great. Then, I'll meet you upfront." Matt's eyes motion towards me and with a single nod, he left the room. Of course, he would check out Amoli once more before he leaves.

"I still think it's a bad idea to associate yourself with a Greyson," I said, packing our lunches. "Don't you see it in his eyes? How he is mocking you?"

"You think I'm stupid? Everything he said is complete bullshit." She scoffed, placing utensils inside our lunch bags.

Living here isn't horrible considering the amount of money we save in our groceries and utilities.

"Remind me why you're doing this again?" I groaned, splattering the upper half of my body on the counter.

"I told you. I am going to bring down Matthew Greyson. Teach him a valuable lesson." Her eyes are filled with too much determination. So much, that I know, I can't convince her to change her mind. "A lot of girls will thank me."

I rolled another green grape into my mouth. "What happened last night?"

She nudges a brow, "You don't want me to seduce him, yet you're curious about our interactions?"

"Fine. Don't tell me." I puffed my cheeks like a brat and stomped out of the kitchen, hearing Amoli laughing.

I stood in the front with Marisa, with a robotic hand in the air. It moves from left to right, biding my best friend goodbye.

I never understand the desire for someone to play this who-falls-for-whom first game.

Mainly, when both sides understand there aren't any genuine emotions.

It's as if they're bored and have nothing better to do.

I tuck my lip above my teeth before hearing the door creak behind me. Liam stepped out, with his usual outfit, and locked the door. It seems like he is the only one with common sense around here.

Liam and I haven't spoken much to each other since the incident yesterday with the hand-slapping medications.

After I said my bitter words, I left the break room. Liam came back, and I merely hand him what he had to do with the sticky notes - of course, with extensive instruction. When he needed something, I gesture to Earl or Mila knowing I will explode if I talk to him.

Liam took a few blinks as he stares at me before he walks towards his car. He halted at the passenger side and opened the car door, silently staring at me once more.

I huffed a breath and walk downward, not looking at him as I set Marisa inside the backseat. I didn't realize how much I was shaking until I began buckling her. I swallowed as Liam reached out and began strapping her in.

We got inside the car, "I apologize," he said, exiting the community. "For my behavior yesterday."

I swallowed, clenching my hands together so hard that my knuckles turned white. "I don't understand. I was only trying to help. Why would you-" the words were choking inside my throat, and I fought the urge to tear up.

I hate getting so emotional around Liam, allowing every little thing to get on my nerve. I want to change. I do. Saying it is one thing, but doing it is another.

Maybe, that's the reason why I ran.

I ran because I couldn't fight.

"I don't particularly enjoy taking medications," he responded.

"No one enjoys taking medications," I stated. No one finds joy in taking stomach-churning products, but they never went as far as slapping it out of another person's hand and shouting into their faces. No sane person would.

"I don't understand you, Liam," I said, finally turning my head towards him. He had both hands on the wheel, cautiously driving us towards our destination. That's Liam; he never drives with one hand like everyone else. Even when he was speeding, he speeds with two hands, and he only did it once, "Why are you doing this to me?"

He turned on the blinkers and made a right turn, "Do what?"

"Push me into a corner like this."

"I would never."

I burst out: "Did you tell your parents about our divorced?"

His hands gripped on the wheel, "I may have mentioned it...during dinner...once."

"Why?"

"Families don't keep secrets."

With only four simple words, he manages to make me feel ashamed. Families don't keep secrets. But I did it. I kept one of the largest decision making of my life from my parents.

"How did you know?" He asked.

"Does it matter how I found out?" I rested my temple against the glass.

"Yes."