Love My Family

Chapter Nineteen

          Love My Family

Edith’s POV

       I stood staring at my father. Why did I just tell him that? How disrespectful of me, I should have told him when we were sat down and approached the subject to him. I was close to hitting fifteen years, and although I know that is a young age to become pregnant, I knew that it was right in a way. Besides, I am so more mature than most girls my age.

     My father had a look of paternal love on his face. “Is it honestly you?” He asked, emotion filling his deep voice.

     I nodded my head, “yes Father, it is me.”

           He gave me a weak smile so I ran over to him and gave him a hug, my head balancing on his shoulder. “I cannot describe how happy I am seeing you alive.” He whispered.

     “I am so happy that my family is together again.” I spoke, all my hatred towards them, even if it was minimal since I got the additional letters and photo, had disappeared instantly.

     “So am I,” he finished. I stood away from him and took his hand, pulling him along back to our room, I do not care what my mother thinks about my father, he was in the right to tell my mother lies, although it would have given her closure, she needed to look after the twins.

    I opened the door and we both stood in, my mother glaring at my father momentarily, she did not say anything however. I searched the room for my younger siblings and saw that they were sat on the sofa by the side of the large room. I recognised the small girl instantly; she was the one who helped me when I got some new dresses.

   I wandered over to them and squatted down. “Hello, my name is Edith.” I introduced myself.

        “I am Peter and my sister is called Harriet.” The young boy spoke, a smile on his face.

                I stood up and turned around, “you named them after Uncle Peter and Aunt Harriet?” I asked shocked. I did not know they knew of their deaths quite so soon.

    “Yes, it was the least we could do.” My mother spoke, with a sad smile on her face. Although I was too young to vividly remember them, I did miss them, I remember my Aunt reading bedtime stories to me at night and they must have been generous people to have let me stay with them.

    A thought hit me, if they did not catch cholera, would I still be living with them and would I have not met William? Although I felt guilty for wishing it, I was glad my life had taken this turn, as my life before William is a blur and I am also glad it is, as the orphanage was the worst time, Mrs Cartwright was a mean woman.

    I sat on the end of the bed, next to where William was stood and gave him a small smile. “Are you okay?”

    He nodded his head. “Yes, of course and I should be asking you that.”

          I smiled, a happier one this time. “I know, and I am fine thanks, glad I feel well enough to walk around.” I joked and he gave me a small smile back. Now that we were far away from Charlotte and Lord Darlington, ready to start a new life, I did not feel suffocated and instead felt free. My life was moving forward in a great way, I was getting married and I was having a child with the man I love.

*****************

    We were sat at the table in the high class, my mother, father and the twins were allowed to eat with us, but they did not see it was right, so they went to eat where they were meant to. We were sat with the two couples we have been dining with since we came aboard the ship and they were still as boring as ever.

   “So William, what are you doing once you get to New York?” The eldest man of the table asked. The two men, seemed to completely ignore the women nearly, William always involved me in the conversation.

   “Edith and I are going to set up a small business with the money we have, where we do not know.” William commented.

    “You have money?” One of the women spoke up.

           “Of course,” William replied minimally. It was not her business to know how much money William and well, now I acquired.

    “They are in first class Elizabeth, do not be so stupid.” The man who asked the question before chastised.

    Her head went down to her plate and it did not look up for the rest of the evening. The men carried on their conversation quietly at their end of the table, William looked bored of it all, making me smile slyly.

   I stood up. “William, I am just going to use the ladies room.” I told him after I had eaten my main meal, which consisted of roast beef, potatoes, carrots and mash. How they kept it all fresh still amazed me. The world was moving forward fast and it felt good to be living in this era.

  He nodded his head smiling and I departed the table. Instead of going to the bathroom, I made my way down to the lower class section and found my parents and siblings.

   The room was busy and full of life, not formal like our section was. I sat down at their table, gaining a few glares off people who sat near where I was, but I expected it. “Hello mother, father.” I greeted.

   They smiled. “It is nice to see you, but why are you down here?” My mother asked. I can see they had made up, which I knew would happen as my mother and father were in love, there was no denying that.

   “I was bored of sat upstairs.” I replied. “The atmosphere is constantly tense.”

         They both laughed. “Well, you caught this place at a good time. They will start the music soon.” My mother told me.

   “I cannot stay for too long, I am going back upstairs soon to eat my dessert.” I responded. As much as I would like to stay down here and listen to them singing and dancing, I cannot.

  “Oh, okay then darling,” my mother replied with a sad smile.

         After a few more minutes of talking with them and enjoying the free and happy atmosphere, I made my way back upstairs, just before my dessert of Fawned Melon was served.