The Twisted Circus

‘tater ash = Meat and Potato Stew

Chapter Seven

           The Twisted Circus

Edith’s POV

I came out of Master’s bedroom and as soon as I was away from his door, I ran to my chambers, climbed under my covers and cried myself to sleep.

Master had touched me in places that were only meant for me. It hurt me and I’m scared to go near him, in case he does it again. But I need to work here, for the money. I will just have to try and persuade him that Jenny is better than me, which she is.

When I awoke in the morning at half five, I changed into my maid’s uniform and wandered up to the kitchen, where Jenny and Mrs Patterson sat. “Morning.” I greeted, just to be ignored.

I went to sit down on the stool when Mrs Patterson called. “Don’t sit down child, you have work to do!” She yelled, making me jump slightly. “Master wants you to wait on him this morning.” She told me, while Jenny gave me a bad look.

I felt so guilty for what happened, he more than likely, did that to every girl, it must have been something I had missed. As I wandered closer to the door, the more my heart pumped blood around my body, making it go faster. My palms started to get sweaty and warm, so I wiped them on my apron before knocking on his bedroom door. “Master.” I called.

“Edith, come in, you can get me dressed for the day.” He told me as I opened the door slowly. He patted the side of the bed with his hand. “Come here.”

I closed my eyes slowly, counting my heartbeats, before opening them and nodding my head. “Yes Master.”

************

I walked as gracefully as I could from his room, before breaking down in tears again. My whole body thronged with pain and I did not know how to stop him, as telling him to stop, made him to it again. I pressed my head against the cold wall and let the tears fall freely.

Two arms suddenly enveloped me and I gasped and thrashed around in the person’s arms, before finally opening my eyes, to see William stood there, worry etched across his face.

“William,” I whispered as I wiped the tears off of my face. It feels different when I am around him. Normally, I would get straight back to work and apologise for being caught crying, but I feel like I can relax around him more and I do not know why.

“What is the matter?” He asked, bending down to my eye level.

I gave him a small smile. “Nothing, do not worry about it.” I lied, before walking past him. “I need to get back to work.”

“I do not want you being upset, and I believe Lord Darlington, would not want you to either.” He told me, before knocking on his door.

I gasped, but he had already wandered in. I ran to the edge of door and peeked my head around the door. William was stood facing Master. “Sir, I have just seen one of your maids crying in the corridor.” He told him in a reasonable manner.

Master however raised his voice. “Which one? Why was she crying? She did not say anything did she?” He questioned in a frantic manner, to which William shook his head, in surprise at his voice.

“She did not say why, but I am worried, and I believe you should be as well, she is your staff.” He told him.

“I shall do nothing.” He declared. “She should not be upset. She should be at work; it’s what I pay her for.”

“Well, I will ask her why she is upset.” William told him sternly, before turning around, to exit the room.

Master grabbed hold of William’s forearm however. “Whatever she says, it is all lies. Do not believe any of it.” He told him and I felt like crawling into a ball and crying, like I did last night.