Chapter 25-Fireworks; Autumn Awaits

Start from the beginning

Before I could say a word, she continues talking on the phone, twirling a strand of her hair, sighing dreamily every now and then. Oh, a maiden in love, finally reuniting with her lover. I swear they parted for less than a freaking month and Poppy looks as if they haven't spoke in years. David calls every single day, and I don't even understand them both.

I get myself a glass of cooling lemonade, and offering Ryuu the second glass on my left hand. We went to the living room and sat down as I switched on the television, drowning out Poppy's loud chatter.

"So, what have you been doing all this while?" Ryuu asks, staring straight into my eyes, as if he wanted to see if I'd lie or not.

"Well," I sip my refreshing lemonade. "Poppy and Theodore are broke, so I'm going around doing jobs with them. Besides that, I go surfing almost everyday and I swim a little offshore to catch a glimpse of the dolphin pods here."

"Broke?" Ryuu raises an eyebrow. Here goes the story.

I could tell he was stopping the laughter threatening to come out, but he simply smiled.

Poppy rushed out of the kitchen half an hour later. "He's coming tomorrow! I still can't believe it!" she squeals. "I'm quitting for you and Theo too!"

I laugh, and so does Ryuu.

"Are you staying until the end of summer?" I ask, suddenly feeling an empty hole if he'd leave me. I got used to his presence the past few months, I don't even know how my life would be if I didn't meet him at all.

"Yeah, sure." he replies, scratching his head before standing up. "I think I should head back to the hotel and grab all my clothes. We can go back to Japan together."

I blush, suddenly realising It'll be just two of us if I were to return. He blushes too, and I managed to laugh off this awkward situation.

It didn't help the constant flutter of my heart, the butterflies in my stomach I have yet to calm.

I grab his arm. "You can get those tomorrow. I have two bikes. I can show you around the best wildlife spots."

The day wasn't as warm as it usually was, and I found it a waste if we didn't explore now. The days I have left in my lovely Hawaii goes by so quickly, I don't even want summer to end. I want to spend as much time as I could breathing in the air I've grown so used to, the soft ocean breeze, and even the sunny rays I surf under. Nowhere felt as much like home as Hawaii did.

Ryuu smiles, and I rush to get two foldable bicycles from the rack by the surfboards. Maybe I might ask Ryuu to join for an evening surf. It would be a nice ending to a day for the two of us.

Oh.

The two of us. I could feel the heat in my cheeks just thinking of it. I shake my head, trying to get the thought out of my mind. It isn't working, and neither is my face draining off the excess blood.

"Nagisa? Took the bicycles yet?" Ryuu comes by and help me as I take both bicycles.

We cycled and cycled until both our legs ached badly. I decided against an evening surf considering how much we covered today. Some paths couldn't be cycled on, so we had to carry our bicycles. Thankfully, foldable bikes aren't as heavy as normal ones, and most of all, foldable.

Both Ryuu and I climbed up the stairs to have a shower before joining the Hillocks siblings for dinner downstairs. Then, I realised Ryuu didn't have a shirt to change into.

"Wait!" I call out to Ryuu as I dash into Theodore's room. I took one of Theo's smaller button-up shirts since Ryuu wasn't as broad-shouldered or as big as Theo was.