Chapter 04-I Want To Challenge You Nagisa!

Chapter 04-I Want To Challenge You, Nagisa!

NAGISA'S POV

I did it. It was a wonder, a miracle even. The last time I had attempted this was when I was eleven. I was badly insulted then, and I didn't look forward to whatever comments they had. Pulling myself away from the exercise mat, I silently made my way to the lockers to change out of my sports attire, head hung low. Whatever negativity can be kept to themselves. I didn't want to hear it.

I wasn't sure what made me go for such a risk. I just had this urge to try out the high jump. I guess it was just simply a rash decision on my part, to have the cheap thrill and not get that badly humiliated, laughed at, or even made fun of.

I looked in the mirror and adjusted my wig, which had slanted when I jumped. It was a relief that it stayed when I jumped.

I walked around the school compound before returning to the greenhouse. I wanted to avoid any talk for now.

"Hey, Nagisa!" Akira greeted me as I came in and sat down. "You were great just now, and I didn't know you could jump so well."

I gratefully accepted the cup of tea she handed me and took a few sips before I ate the cake placed next to my saucer.

Hikari and Kei joined in shortly, and Hikari was bubbling with excitement. She really is excited almost all the time. Unlike my cousin, who makes smiling at anything but Hikari a chore.

"Nagisa, I didn't know you could do the high jump!" Hikari says, her eyes sparkling as she looked at me in awe. I really was rendered speechless as she couldn't even stay still in her seat. That was a lot of enthusiasm on her part. I wonder what would happen if sugar rush ever occurred. She'd probably demand another challenge with Kei, I don't really know. I just know them by their basic interests and from body language, determine what kind of person they are.

"It wasn't that amazing. Anyone can learn how to do the high jump. It just takes longer for normal people to master it." Kei comments emotionlessly as he sips his cup of tea. "There's no need to praise. I'm sure he just did it to impress everyone."

What?! How could he think that!

"But, he didn't even know you guys were jumping-" Tadashi's voice slowly reduced from a mumble into nothingness as Kei threw him a a deadly glare. Even the cake held by his fork fell back to the plate in fear.

Another killer glare. At this rate, I can predict my death at a young age if looks could truly kill a person. I didn't really do anything, just joined in friendly conversation. How they ended up thinking differently, I have no idea.

"I know!" Hikari says as she shoots out of her chair, startling everyone, including Kei. Except that his face was in shock for a mere few seconds before it changed back to the stone cold look he seemed to be sporting all the time. Couldn't he jut smile or show any other expression for a longer period? It was hard to see what he was feeling from his face.

"If you want another challenge, Miss Rank Two, I suggest you forget it." Kei says with an icy tone. "What makes you think this over-confident half-American boy would want to do anything with you?"

Hikari gives him a confused look, and I can tell she may be slightly dense. None of the SA members interrupted them, so I decided it was also my cue to simply listen in on the current conversation than rub salt into the wound.

"But," Hikari turns to face me, pouting slightly. " I want to challenge you, Nagisa!"

"That's fine with me." I reply honestly, I really want to try and bond with my classmates, rather than do the opposite and get on their bad sides. Turning to my cousin, I opened my mouth to talk to him about his over-confident assumptions but a textbook was flung in my direction, stopping me from whatever I had to say.

I managed to duck, but it didn't mean I was happy with the guy who threw it. When I saw a dark aura around him, I decided against whatever I wanted to yell at him.

"Please don't assume what others want, Kei. I'm perfectly fine making decisions by myself. Since I'm in this class, and you're stuck with me, why don't we come to a truce?"

There was nothing but silence. Kei looked at me weirdly for a moment before he flipped open his laptop with extreme force, it was a shock that the laptop was still fine.

His posture was stiff as he started typing like a maniac.

"You want a challenge with Hikari, huh?" he chuckled darkly. "Why don't we just participate in an inter-SA event to see where you really stand, new boy."

Wait, what?! Is he serious? Judging from his actions, he was determined to carry this out. Oh well, I would just have to do my best then.

He then continued to explain how they would go to a different location in which an anonymous, fair judge would grade them. Technically it was a school trip, but the Chairwoman didn't need to know the full details of what we were actually doing.

I would love to see how serious all my new classmates would get during a challenge. Were they the kind to play dirty or go all out? Would they end up sore losers, or be the kings and queens of sportsmanship?

When the day was finally over, Kei called me from behind as I was about to leave alone.

"Keep in mind, Nagisa. Hikari has no interest in you. If its a fight you want, you will get one." he threatened. Woah, he needs to chill. I mean, if he can tell, we're just friends, and nothing will happen. I'm a straight person, I don't go for my gender. Well, he doesn't need to know that now, but what made him see that I was interested?

An enemy at the start? Guess the odds aren't exactly in my favour after all. Hopefully, I can get rid of Kei's smug face off. Rank One, huh? Zero is higher. It may not be worth anything but it does come before one.

I checked the time. Good. I still had the time to walk around the neighbourhood around my apartment before dark. I wondered if I could still remember those places. It gives me the feeling of seeing somewhere familiar, but I can't put my finger on it. That was when I knew it was some kind of intuitional feeling that I've been here.

{published 06/01/2014}

A/N
So, enjoy reading and I hope you guys look forward to the next chapter!
Read, Comment and Vote! It's greatly appreciated.

theonlyphyn <3