Chapter 07-Your Loss

NAGISA'S POV

"A mistake on our part, but the last and final challenge is a kayaking challenge." the speakers of the inn blared loudly, waking me up from my slumber.

Great. Just great. I sat up and rubbed my eyes and bam! They announced the kayaking challenge. My kayaking isn't exactly bad, neither was it good. I always exerted too much strength, causing the kayak to capsize.

Before I knew it, I was at the edge of the waters, ready to step into the kayak. I specially had my wig fastened even more, with the fear of it falling out. It had nearly fell off when we were given time at the beach yesterday, and I was surfing until my heart's content.

"The final challenge!" I heard Akira sigh in relief. "I can finally go back for nice tea in nicer tea cups!"

I guess all she really wanted was to drink tea...I wouldn't blame her, since the tea here wasn't exactly up to standard.

I got into my kayak, trying to steady myself as much as I could. We were only rowing for a few kilometres, since it was the last challenge and everyone was quite tired from the past few days. I positioned myself at the starting line, Ryuu in the kayak next to me, gazing off at the horizon. If only I had a chance to keep this moment forever, frozen in a picture. Ryuu's powerful gaze towards the horizon, and a wise quote added next to it in fancy font.

The horn blared and we began going along our race line. Each of us had a different route of the same distance, with a few obstacles along the way. We would all end at the finishing line, once the paths converge. I rowed at a steady and fast pace, well in front of the others, including Kei. What happened next came as a shocker.

Out of nowhere, a jutted out edge of a rock was sticking out and I couldn't turn on time even though I had slowed down. The last thing I heard was someone yelling my name before I plunged into the darkness of the cool water. My first instinct was to get out of the kayak, which I did successfully. As I held my kayak paddle, I noticed chocolate brown hair floating around my face. Less than two metres away, was my wig, floating like a jellyfish. I was in danger of drowning, but I didn't want to ruin what I've built.

I couldn't resurface for air without putting my wig back on. Unstrapping the life jacket, which was becoming a pain in the neck, I reached out for the wig with my hand outstretched as far as possible, and my fingers felt the hazel hair. I hid behind my kayak and surfaced for a big gulp of air before I plunged back in to get my hair straight. I got out, forced myself into the kayak and paddled vigorously to the finish. It was do or die now. The final opportunity to beat my cousin in this Adventure Island challenge.

Soon enough, after even more near capsize experiences, I passed a shocked Hikari and went head on with Kei, forcing my energy levels to rise for the occasion.

"Someone nearly found out!" I yelled at Kei as we raced side by side. I didn't know what made me put so much trust in him, but I believe it might be because we were actually cousins.

"Well, your wig really is ugly..." his words trailed off as his kayak sped forward all of a sudden.

"What?!" I shouted back at him, keeping my pace steady. The finish line was in sight, Kei was leading. There was no way I was losing this challenge. Both the kayaking and the overall results. I will take him down.

To my absolute fury, we passed the finish line at the same time. Hikari came in a few seconds later and second place, while the others came in soon after.

To top all that brimming anger off, our overall results were identical. I felt like a time bomb, destined to explode any time soon. I'm so not sharing the title nor the prize.

"I'm not sharing with him!" I crossed my arms and pouted.

Kei folded his arms too. "It's not as if I wanted to share that title with you."

The first place apparently had two prizes so the SA decided we draw lots. They didn't reveal the prize before the draw, but Kei was smirking all the way, which made me question the prizes.

He gave me the chance to pick first and I opened it and gaped in horror. All that effort just for a meal cooked by the second place? Kei smiled and showed me his prize, the freedom to decide where to go for the summer holidays. If killing him was legal, I would have done it ages ago.

"Oh Nagisa, I'm so excited about cooking for you. I wonder if I should prepare some for the SA too!" Hikari was surprisingly brimming with absolute excitement even though she was second place. The rest of the SA paled as they casually rejected her. Kei couldn't ask for it since he apparently picked the other prize. How bad or how good was Hikari's cooking?

"Well, Nagisa." Kei smirked as we made our way home. "This is your loss."

My loss? He was the one who decided such a horrible prize in case it got tied.

"What do you want?" Hikari asked me, the look on her face similar to that of an obedient dog waiting for its master to give it orders.

Well, no matter how much Hikari wanted to show off her skills, all I wanted was some pudding. Hokkaido milk pudding was the best, but maybe a handmade by Hikari pudding might just do the job. I was in the SA so maybe I might get to try other stuff by Hikari in the future.

"Well?" Hikari asked, her eyes now looking more like shimmering crystals than real eyes. I gave her a sheepish, kiddy smile.

"I want pudding."

POV OF AN ANONYMOUS SA MEMBER

I saw it all. That boy falling from the kayak. The wig drifting off, causing long brown hair to spill out. How he, or should I now say she, thought no one was looking. I really regret calling out her name, if it was even her real name. I knew that her big eyes were already suspicious. If she had roomed with Ryuu, what if something really happened in that room?

She was probably one of those crazy fan girls that made effort to conceal themselves and trick everyone into letting them into the SA. I bet most would fail but this one, was a smart one. Too smart for her own good and quite capable too. To be able to tie with Takishima Kei himself. But if what she said about herself was true, was she a spy for all those fans of students that swarm the SA like paparazzi?

Forget about her being honest. I will expose her and her fake identity once I have solid evidence. Every fan stays a fan, not some SA member.

{published 20/01/2014}
A/N
Wow. To think I started off roughly 21 days ago...
Thanks for all the support :)
Any thoughts on what will happen? Do comment!
Read, Vote, Comment!

theonlyphyn <3