Chapter 22-Shocking Summer Holiday

POPPY'S POV

I watched silently as Theodore, my older and supposedly more "mature" brother trudge up the steps to the villa. Aunt Alice Maisy had called earlier this morning, full on lawyer-demanding mode. We were initially going over to stay for the summer in the morning, but apparently my hung over brother needed his morning surf before he had the energy to pack or come over. Oh, trust him to get drunk on the first night of summer and hung over on the first day.

"Hi Aunt Alice Maisy, you look exceptionally smart today." Theodore says as the doors open. She was in a crisp white short-sleeved shirt and a black pencil skirt. With her hair in a perfect bun, her fine features look even more sharpened than usual, making her look wiser. And maybe a little angry.

"Oh Theodore, as sweet and charming as always. Be thankful I'm not pressing charges against phone call harassment and the fact that you gave someone my personal number. Someone with seven teenagers asking for summer-long lodging in my apartment."

I winced at the sarcasm. Her voice was as sweet as honey, venomous honey.

Well, how did you expect her to treat the dripping wet boy who gave the personal number of a well-respected lawyer to a person who probably prank called?

"So, since today is the beginning of summer, I assume you are free and can help those teenagers settle in. I'll be here until they arrive in the afternoon to see if it was a prank call or not."

Aunt Alice Maisy led the two of us, in dripping wetsuits and salty watered surfboards, into the house. Well, she was known for being a lawyer, not a neat freak. As Theodore and I placed our surfboards on the Alberto's self-customised surfboard rack, I realised one of the two surfboards was missing.

"Are you both staying throughout the holidays, Poppy?" I knew the question was for Theodore, but I believe she has some trust issues against him. I would too.

It was rather obvious from the way she was glaring at my poor, squirming brother with her piercing grey eyes.

"Our parents are going backpacking in South America once the business is stable and well to go for summer, and Theo and I would join them at around the last week of summer when they reach Brazil." the lawyer nods, but her eyes still fixated on poor Theodore. I could feel his fear. Those eyes could probably see through lies. None of us are brutally honest but the effect it has creeps me out.

The doorbell rang. Aunt Alice Maisy walks towards the door, adjusting her already perfect and smooth attire. I hear a sigh of relief coming from Theodore, who seemed so relaxed without the presence of those grey eyes.

"So you're those Korean teenagers that called for lodging." Aunt Alice Maisy's clear voice echoed off the silent house. So it wasn't a prank call, someone probably called the wrong number.

"Yes, ma'am. We're the Japanese teenagers that called." a voice answered at the door. So apparently they took the exact eight-hour flight like I did.

"So this is all free? I still don't believe it when you say that you're not charging us at all!" another voice spoke.

I smirked at my brother and he sent an evil grin back. This is when one should learn that lawyers like Alice Maisy Alberto is a force to be reckoned with even out of court.

"I did?" she responds after a moment of awkward silence. The hint of amusement in her voice was that of pure evil genius. "I will keep to my word and not charge you. This isn't my house anyways. I live in a apartment, not this villa."

This was the great Alice Maisy after all. The woman who could do anything but separate work from personal life.

"You don't pay me. You pay my niece, or her friends." Aunt Alice Maisy continued. As she walks back to the living room, she grabs her phone and purse, walking out of the door without saying a word. I didn't hesitate to pick up the paper she left behind. She wasn't the careless type, this was left on purpose. Theodore scooted next to me as I read the note.