Chapter 40: Chasing Butterflies

I stared up at the ceiling while I was on my bed. It was in the middle of the night and of course, I couldn't sleep with all my thoughts keeping me awake again. Not that I would want to sleep...with the nightmares still happening and all...

I looked over to my window where it had a polaroid picture of Carly, Calvin, and me all posing together. I couldn't help but smile at it. How happy we looked.

I sat up, taking the small picture, folding it until it only showed Calvin's face. Then I opened up the locket, putting his face on the other side of the locket. Smiling down at it, I closed the locket, now having the two people I care about most in this world close to my heart at all times.

I continued to examine the locket, realizing how I never even found the key's purpose. Where it opened to.
Was this what people meant that the key was closer than they thought?

I narrowed my eyes more at the key...remembering something...remembering how close I was to losing this forever...the...the butterfly!

My eyes squeezed shut as my brain started showing me flashes of my memory, almost like a slideshow. It showed me rushing out of my room, making my way down the steps in the dorm quickly, trying to reach the butterfly. But then someone caught me...and they pushed me...off of the rails...and...

It was Damien.

Damien was the one that tried to kill me.
I remember now.
Every single detail.

I remember him telling me something...

"This is for the best..."

But why? Why is killing me best? Is he apart of the Order of Silence? Is it because I knew too much? If so, how did he know I was close to finding the truth?

I laid back down, staring back at the ceiling. Closing my eyes so I could sleep, but unable to. Not only my thoughts and fears kept me awake, but also the thought of something else. Something I discovered on Felicity's side of the room before I fell...

A receipt...and a map...

The map that was burned into my mind...

The thought alone made me get back up and go to her side of the room. I started searching for the map on the bookshelf when I first found it. But it wasn't there.

Shit.

I sighed, then remembered something.

The magnifying glass.

I stumbled over to my side, quickly taking the magnifying glass which I've hidden in one of my pillowcases. Where no one but myself can find it.
When I retrieved it, I went back to her side of the room, gently placing the magnifying glass up to my eye and looking around.

I almost smiled when I saw the butterfly appear now as this glass hasn't given up on me yet. It flew across her room, landing towards the mirror on her vanity. I hastily started approaching the mirror, watching the butterfly gently flap its wings on it.
When I got up to it, I put down the magnifying glass, touching the surface of the mirror. Before I could question why the butterfly led me here, the mirror very slightly moved.