Chapter 39: Big Girls Don't Cry

My mouth dropped open and I looked at him with shock.

"How'd you-"

"I found it on the ground. I thought you might've lost it or something so I grabbed it to give to you later,"

"Calvin," I breathed out a breath of relief as I remember now that I lost the key...remembering the butterfly...how it was struck down by a rock...the pieces were coming together.

Thank god for him. If it got into the wrong person's hands it might've not gone well for Beckwith.

"There's more," He smiled, pulling his hands out of his pockets.

I tilted my head to the side wondering what more there could be. He leaned over to the gift, carefully opening the top part of the key, revealing it as a locket.

"It turns out it opens. So, I decided to make this gift even better,"

Inside was a picture of Carly, smiling widely at me from the locket. My smile slowly faded as I looked at it longer though.

"Where are you?"

"Oh, you don't want my face in that..." He scoffed, closing the locket.

I narrowed my eyes at him, knowing I would definitely put a picture of him in it later.

"Turn around," He ordered, taking the box in his hand.

I smiled again, turning around knowing he knew how to make me feel better. It's amazing how far we've come in just a year and a half. From me hating him with every cell in my body to having him move my hair out the way so he could put on the locket he found and upgraded for me.

I looked down at it, admiring its beauty with the blue gem and delicate details of it that I've now seemed to notice more. Calvin really knew the perfect gift to give me. I hope no one else got me anything, this is really all that is needed.

I turned back around looking up at him, leaning in, closer and closer, until the door the classroom everyone was in opened, making me jump back.

Carly huffed out in a bit of annoyance as she found me, going up to me to grab my hand.

"There you are!" She started pulling me towards the classroom, "Dude, you've acting super strange lately. We're all kind of worried,"

She opened the door for me and I shrugged, "I'm fine. I just...I'm not really used to being invited to parties,"

She raised an eyebrow while smiling at me, "But this is your own party,"

"My point still stands," I smirked, pushing her.

"Well aren't you just one big ball of depression!"

"You called?" Calvin teases, entering the room.

"Marcie! Are you okay sweetie? We were all worried," Ms. Ellie asked warmly, stopping in cutting the cake to walk over to me.

"Oh yeah, I'm-I'm fine! I-"

"BACK UP THERE'S CAKE!" Carly pushed me aside and rushed towards the cake.