Chapter 1: Dreaming of Nightmares

I woke up.

My entire head felt like it was spinning, as did the rest of the world around me.

Wherever that world was.

I sat myself up, using my hands as a balance to stay put.

That's when I looked around.

How'd I get here?

I was in a forest. A very quiet and deserted one at that. I immediately got to my feet. Not only was I surrounded by trees and leaves, but by a thick fog that seemed to cover up almost everywhere.

I started walking slowly not sure where to go since I'm not familiar with this place at all.

Before I could give up on finding any way out of here, the fog started to die down, creating almost a pathway just for me. Then my eyes started to adjust, and I saw a playground. After that, I heard laughing. A sweet, melodic type of laughing.

And then a little girl.

A little girl with curly red hair that was put up into two tight little pigtails, freckles covering up most of her face. And she had the biggest eyes that were a greenish blue, followed by incredibly large eyelashes.

My eyebrows knitted together as she was swinging on a swing on the playground, her wide smile showing she still had teeth growing in.

"Marcie!" A familiar voice called out.

I flicked my head to where the voice came.

"Dad?" I asked, my voice breathless as I couldn't believe who I was hearing.

He started walking over to the little girl with a wide smile, the girl then jumping off the swing set and running towards him. He scooped up the little girl, giving her a warm hug.

That little girl...she's me.

"I have a present for you!" He smiled, putting her down.

I watched as he took out a sort of small gift that was wrapped nicely out of his jacket.

They can't see me...they can't see me because this is a memory...

Dad handed her the gift, and she quickly took it from him, excitedly taking off the lid.

"...What is this?" My old little voice sounded very soft...so innocent...

"It's called a magnifying glass. You use it to see things more closely." He explained, a smile on his face as little me examined it.

"Why would you want that?" Little me wondered.

"To observe. You know, all the great detectives use it."

"Really?!" My little face lit up with absolute joy, it put a smile on my face as well.

"Mhm, but this magnifying glass is special."

"How come?"

"Because it was your great, great grandpa's. It was passed down for every generation. And now, I want to give it to you," He ruffled my hair.