Chapter 24: Scraps

"No offense, but you look like shit." Carly looked at me dead in the eyes as I plopped down at the table she and Calvin were at.

Thanks for stating the obvious, Carly.

I just glared at her from across the table, noting how obviously horrible I must've looked. It's not like I could actually get sleep though...not after what I experienced last night.

"Whatever...let's just get this done with..." I moaned out, my voice clearly hoarse and tired as I took out some files and evidence to help with our case.

I could barely keep my eyes open as I brushed some of the absolute knotty-mess that was my hair behind my ear. When I placed some files and papers out on the table, I noticed Carly and Calvin gave each other a bit of a glance, then looked back at me.

"What?" I snapped, really not in the mood for whatever else they were going to say.

"M-maybe...you shouldn't..." Calvin stated hesitantly, as if I was a ticking bomb about to explode by the most fragile comment.

Which, honestly, I really was.

My head flicked up at him as I narrowed my eyes, which made him look a bit uneasy by my death glare.

"What I mean is, you seem, really tired," He clarified himself before I actually flipped the table over on them.

I sighed at his statement, not bothering to object since it was obvious that it was true. I was...exhausted.

I put my hands to the sides of my head, trying to somehow physically keep my mind together even though I knew that wasn't going to happen anytime soon.

"I don't know what's wrong with me...I'm just...so tired..." I mumbled out to them.

I heard Calvin sigh from in front of me.

Weird, I've known these losers for so long I basically know which breathing noises each one makes without looking at them.

"Is it...the nightmares again?" I heard him ask cautiously.

I remained still with my hands still on my head and paused for a second, until answering him.

"Yeah," I admitted quietly.

"Marcie..." Carly added, her voice sounding a bit agitated as my nightmares were still going on. And they don't seem to be getting any better.

"Look, you guys don't need to worry about me I'm-" I started to say, taking my hands from my head to give them an assuring explanation but Calvin cut me off right then in there.

Dear God, we know each other wayyy to much.

"You're not fine, Marceline." He firmly told me, "Get some sleep, right here,"

"What?? No, I-"

"Never thought I'd say this but I agree with him. You really need to get some shut eye, dude." Carly added, crossing her arms and leaning back in her chair.

I looked at both of them like they were being actually serious. And for once in their lives, they both were.

"Come on, we'll be right here with you while you sleep, okay?" Calvin smirked at me, his brown eyes glistened at me, the reassurance in his voice sweeping me off my feet instantly.