Issue #49: Wrath of Bane Part 2: The Most Dangerous Game

"Excellent work, darling." Bird said talking to his falcon. "Well, it appears no Bat sightings have been made in a 50 mile radius so let us begin the bidding! As you know, you were all invited here by Bane himself to partake in a bit of a weapons auction. As established  we will only be accepting payment above 1,000 dollars per weapon, or as a cheaper option, denounce your current leaders and join Bane in his conquest to take Gotham for his own. Now, although my companion Zombi is also having a similar auction across the city, you've all made a wise choice by joining me today as I have something in my possession he does not." Bird took the bag off of the person's head and sure enough there was Tim.

"What the hell!? How did Bird get Tim!?" I whispered. Stephanie just looked on in Horror as Cass tightened her fist.

"So not only will you be joining the winning team of Gotham's Underworld if you join with us, but you'll also get a free shot at my least favorite bird: Robin."

"It's... Red... Robin..." Tim said.

"Really? What a coincidence. Because I'm sure at the end of the night, Brandon will be saying yum after he pecks the eyes out of your corpse." Bird said pointing to a crow perched on a box.

"Batwoman, come in! We've found Tim! He's being held hostage by Bird. Bane's Back!" Stephanie said in a panic.

"We're at an abandoned warehouse near Gotham Harbor. He's selling guns for loyalty to Bane and money. " I added.

"Bane? Dammit! Me and Batgirl are on our way! We'll alert the others as well." Batwoman said. "Listen to me and listen carefully, every single member of Bane's Peña Duro Gang is extremely dangerous. Do not engage until we arrive under any circumstances."

"I can take them." Cass said.

"Orphan, I know you're emotional but Bane is far more dangerous then anyone you've faced before."

"Not Bane. Bird."

"If his falcon is with him, no you can't."

"With all due respect, that's bullshit. If a basket case with no formal training like Harley Quinn and Killer Croc can take down both Bird and the hairy guy, Cass can take down Bird by herself." I said.

"This isn't up for debate! Wait. That's an order!" Batwoman said.

"Now if you want to continue to follow your leaders out of either fear or respect that is understandable." Bird said. "But without further ado, let the auction begin!"

"God dammit this is bull-" Stephanie began to say before I put a hand over her mouth.

"Hey, relax! We'll get him." I told her.

"How about you, Friend? You willing to ditch that clown makeup for this brand new beauty?" Bird asked a joker goon as a scantily clad woman with curly blonde hair brandished a glowing machine gun.

"...Yeah, I am." He said.

"Wait, man! Joker'll kill you if-"

"No ones seen Joker in a month and before that he was locked in Arkham! And what is he gonna do? Go through Bane to slit my throat? Yeah, right!" The guy told his joker buddy while wiping off his face paint.

"A wise choice my friend, and now as promised, you get one free hit on the boy blunder here. But no fatal blows! That wouldn't be fair to the other guests." Bird said. The former joker thug took out a switchblade and stabbed Tim in the collarbone. Stephanie gasped and I immediately grabbed Cass to stop her from jumping in. She must be close to him, too. I thought. The thug left the switchblade in Tim as he got the gun. Bird showed off another gun, some sort of mini gun that shot explosive bullets similar to my old ones. "And you, sir? Are you willing to abandon your leader for this great weapon of mass destruction?"

"Although the deal is fair,
I will be in much despair,
As the Hatter knows my address; my wife's corpse I could not bare." The guy said.

"A family man, huh? That is respectable." Bird said. It went on like this for 20 minutes, one paying one hundred fifty thousand for an armored car for Black Mask, one putting out a cigarette on Tim's forehead as he got his auto lock pistol and stomping on his Riddler hat. It was like watching a snuff film. It felt like we were playing a dangerous game of waiting to see if the gang got here first or if Tim would get mutilated.

"Where the fuck are they!?" I said with the torture getting to me.

"Well, it seems all of you have made your choices." Bird said. "So, now it's time for us to part ways! Have fun with your new toys, gentlemen! Pretending to shoot your guns at passing cop cars!"

"Wait, pretending?" A guy in a Two-Face suit said.

"Oh, you guys didn't notice? Those who didn't join with us got your weapons from a different group of guns then those who did. Yours don't work. But thanks for the money." Bird said before turning to the guys in ski masks. "You May Fire when ready." He said before they all shot the ones who didn't defect. "Well, welcome to our little family, men. You will be paid handsomely for your new found loyalty. Now help us load our riches into the black vans out back. We have to get you situated in some new clothes and bring you to Bane himself... and you know what? Why don't you test out your new guns on our little test dummy here? But shoot for the legs and arms. Bane wants to have a little fun with him, too Back at the base." Bird said. All the grunts murmured in agreement before getting ready to aim their guns.

"NO!" Stephanie said before everyone looked to the corner of the room.

"You know what? Fuck it!" I said before shooting a firecracker down at their feet. Yes, I turned a batarang into a firecracker. Sue me. Before I finished the sentence, Cass was already halfway over the catwalk and jumping onto Bird. As half the goons panicked and the other ones shot at me, Cass was beating the shit out of Bird. I phased through the catwalk and remained in my phasing state as bullets went through me. That's when Stephanie threw down a smoke bomb at them distracting them.

"Brandon! Attack!" Bird shouted in between punches before his crow attacked attacked Cass. Stephanie attacked various members in the smoke before I ran in to join her. I hit a button in my mask that put a visor over my eyes similar to my dad's scope in his mask to let me see through the smoke. As I did noticed Bird running behind a crate. I was about to throw a batarang before someone nailed me in the back of the head with a gun. With fuzzy vision, I looked up and saw the joker goon who defected point his gun at me.

. . .

"I am well aware of Mr. Luthor's conditions and my sympathies are with your employer."

"Thank you but I'm more focused on the future of his business ventures than his future at this point." Mercy Graves said as she sat in a limousine. "Which is why I'm willing to offer you a million dollars to start a small partnership with Lex Corp. You provide weapons and mercenaries that can't be tied publicly to Lex Corp. and our scientists provide you with a brand new Kryptonite infused Venom that will make you stronger than the strongest man on Earth."

"Although the offer does seem tempting, how do I know your concoction will not give me the same... how you say? Side Effects as your boss?"

"The scientists have time to figure that out."

"Mhm... and you expect me to sign off on a deal when you don't even have the funds to pay me currently?"

"I will have the money. Lex doesn't necessarily have any loved ones to give his life savings to besides his bodyguard that stopped Mr. Boyscout from burning a hole in his face."

"Although the deal is tempting-" A phone ringing was heard throughout the car. "Speak."

"Boss! We've got trouble! A group of vigilantes just arrived! Shits hitting the fan! Some of the-" Bird said before spitting out blood. "Some of the boys are collecting the money but we're losing men quickly! We need backup!"

"You do not need reinforcements. You need Bane." Bane said before hanging up. "Trogg!"

"Yes, Bane?" Trogg answered from the driver's seat.

"Alert Zombi to round up his money and to cancel the firing squad. His bullets are needed elsewhere. Drop Miss Graves off and change directions.

We must go to Gotham Harbor. There is work to be done."