Issue #27: Training Day

"Do you have to keep holding his hand like that?"

"Yes. His hand hurts." Caitlin told Barbara as we walked through the halls. "I don't know what you're complaining about. I made your job easier."

"Thanks. Because finding an ice pack was just so hard for me." Barbara said sarcastically.

"Hey, can you guys, like, stop arguing?" I asked. "Where are we going anyway?"

. . .

"Ex-fucking-cuse me?" I said.

"If you're going to be apart of the league, you're going to need to not only adapt to our no killing rule, but you're going to need to improve your hand to hand combat skills. That's why we've decided on having you spar with a member of the league." Batman said.

"Alright one: stop saying 'The League' like that. It doesn't make you sound cooler. Two: if you've forgotten, I've gone toe to toe with you multiple times."

"And you lost."

"WHA- NO I MOST CERTAINLY DID NOT! I-" I said before someone tapped my shoulder. "One second." I said before turning to see who it was and getting kicked in the face. The force of the kick sent me into a bunch of dummies... I mean the sparring dummies not the Justice League. I got up angrily and looked at my attacker. I'd never seen her before. She was some blonde chick in fishnet and a leather jacket. Punk. Like Caitlin. I like it. Too bad that likability is currently being subsided by my anger. I got up and ran towards her to punch her and she dodged it before grabbing my arm and Irish whipping me face first into a wall. Wait, that actually works in real life!? I thought to myself as I got up again and threw another punch. She grabbed my wrist and bopped me on the nose with her fist before grabbing my hair and driving my face into her knee. I staggered back and fell on my ass.

"Today your sparring partner is Black Canary. An expert in brawling." Batman said. I gritted my teeth before getting up again.

"Alright! You wanna dance? Lets dance!" I said putting my hands up.

"Bring it on." Black Canary said dismissively taunting me. I yelled before throwing another punch.

Caitlin POV

"This is hard to watch." I said as I watched (Y,N) get his ass kicked by Black Canary.

"You could say that again." Batgirl said before (Y,N) got thrown into the one sided window we were standing behind.

"This is hard to watch." I said again as he slowly slid down the window.

"So, how long have you known him?" Batgirl asked.

"Only since the night he got drafted into the squad. Putting that icicle in Bats's shoulder was the best thing Waller ever forced me to do." I said dreamily remembering that night.

"You guys are pretty close, Huh?" Batgirl asked.

"You could say that." I told her.

"...Like, how close?"

"Why do you care?" I asked her. "Look, no offense, but I'm not going to tell someone I've only now become aquatintists with everything about my personal life. Especially when I tried to kill them not even 24 hours ago." I told her with my arms folded.

"I guess that's fair." Batgirl said before she looked back at (Y,N). "...You think he's gonna land a punch soon?"

Your POV

I threw multiple punches that Black Canary lazily blocked before grabbing my arm on the last one and pulling me onto the floor and into a cross arm breaker.

"If this was a real fight your arm would be broken right now." She said before letting go. I growled before getting up to my feet and proceeding to try to punch her some more.

"IF THIS WAS A REAL FIGHT YOU'D BE DEAD BECAUSE I'D'VE SHOT YOU BY NOW!" I shouted before she spun out of the way of a punch and kicked me in the back of the head. I felt like she severed a thing connected to my brain as I fell to the floor. I slowly started pulling myself up now.

"Your problem is you're always on offense and you never try to defend yourself."

"A good offense is the best defense..." I said through gritted teeth as I got up.

"I know. And you don't have one." She said. I growled before trying to punch her repeatedly again. She blocked them all and grabbed my wrist again before trying to palm strike me in the face, but I grabbed her wrist with my other hand and kneed her in the stomach, making her bend over before I spin kicked her in the head and onto the floor.

"Ha! I got you!" I said triumphantly.

"Someone must be proud of themselves." Black Canary said before getting up. "We can stop for today, if you want."

"Are you kidding? I just got good at this and you want me to quit?" I said before throwing another flurry of punches. She kept backing up until she ran into a wall, then She grabbed my hand and I went to throw a punch with my other hand before she screamed in my face and everything got real quiet as I went flying into the wall on the other side of the room. I smashed into it before I fell on my face onto the floor. I looked up and saw her lips moving but I didn't hear her say anything. "WHAT!?" I barely heard myself say. She rolled her eyes and chuckled before offering me a hand. I took her hand and She pulled me up to my feet.

"I said you didn't get good at this." She told me before laughing. "Consider this your second fighting lesson: never put a Canary in a corner." She said.

"Gotcha." I said.

"Still don't wanna take that break?" She asked me.

"You know what? I think I will take it." I said making her laugh before she helped me out of the training room.