Issue #52: New

"You suffering from two broken ribs, internal bleeding, and a broken nose. Not to mention the multiple bruises and open wounds on your body."

"...And?" I asked Ma Gunn as I sat up on the bed. Ma Gunn used to run a reform school for degenerate kids before Jason was enrolled. Soon after Batman busted her and rescued all the members of her child gang. She was released from prison about 8 years later, tried to play it straight despite being cornered by Black Mask and in return, Black Mask blew up her house. Thankfully for her, one of her old students was going to pay her a visit: The Red Hood. She saved her, he beat the shit out of Black Mask, she now lets him, Artemis, and Bizarro use her base as an HQ ever since Jason's GCPD bunker got raided by Batman.

"And that means we're not going anywhere for a few weeks." Barbara said.

"That means that I'm gonna be here for two weeks tops and then against doctor's orders I'm going to-" I began to say trying to get up before I felt a sharp pain in my chest area before falling back down, feeling more pain when my bruised everything hit the mattress. "...You get the idea. And in the meantime, you will be looking for Bane."

"Well, I'm not leaving your side until you're better. So still, we're not going anywhere for a couple of weeks."

"I'll leave you two to your bickering in peace as long as it's clear (Y,N) is not to get out of this bed for the foreseeable future." Ma Gunn said before walking out.

"... (Y,N) I'm sorry I didn't get Kate to leave Jason alone and just go save Tim." Barbara said.

"Don't apologize to me, I'm not the one who had a criminal from every gang in Gotham kick one of my teeth out." I said.

"You're the one who almost had every one of your bones broken by Bane." Barbara let out a sigh. "I just feel really guilty about it all."

"Don't. If anything it's Batwoman's fault. How's Cass holding up?"

"She stopped screaming. Ma Gunn's supposed to do work on her tomorrow. Tim is stable. Bruce is having the best doctors in the world rush across the world to make sure he has a speedy recovery. Stephanie is with them right now. She's not going to mention anything about Jason to Bruce. If he asks about Bane she's going to say you came up with a last second distraction before I showed up with Luke and Jean-Paul."

"...Who?"

"Batwing and Azrael."

"Azrael's French?" I asked making Barbara light laugh. "Is that the first time you've laughed at one of my smartass remarks?"

"I dunno. Maybe." She said before sighing one more time. "Listen, I think I have to tell you something. I didn't want to tell you this early after-"

"Hey, Babs, times up." We looked over at Jason and Artemis entering the room.

"We gave you two extra minutes actually." Artemis said.

"Can't you guys just wait like, five more minutes?"

"(Y,N)'s been held hostage by group after group for the last year or whatever, we don't know when exactly the next time we're going to see him is." Jason said.

"You can have him for as long as you'd like after this we capture this Bane brute." Artemis added. Barbara let out an annoyed huff before looking at me.

"Promise me we'll talk later."

"Yeah, sure. It's not like I'm going anywhere for a while." I said. Barbara got up and walked out of the room, however I noticed when her and Artemis passed each other they gave each other glares.

"I wish we could've reunited on better terms, man." Jason said tossing me a beer. "Bizarro's watching Cass closely with Clayface. It's a little adorable watching him try to think of small talk to make with Clayface."

"How the hell did you get them to stop trying to arrest you?"

"Your Friend Batgirl shouted something along the lines of 'enough, we don't have time for this, we have to help (H/N)', and then Jason, Bizarro, and I took it upon ourselves to save you." Artemis explained.

"Why'd she say help me? I wasn't the one captured." I asked.

"We don't know but we probably wouldn't have come if she didn't. "Jason said. "So, how's your fourth best friend doing?"

"My f-... oh... yeah, me and her kinda broke up."

"You were dating her!?" Jason and Artemis asked at the same time.

"Yeah, and lets just say it was a pretty messy breakup where she almost murdered me and I became an alcoholic for like a week." I said before taking a swig of a beer.

"I'm not going to lie, that's what you get for dating a girl named 'Killer Frost'." Artemis said.

"Wow, thanks for being a supportive friend." I responded.

"I try."

"Honestly, It was probably for the best." Jason interjected. "Maybe next time, don't go for a super criminal?"

"Yeah, Noted." I said. ...I wonder what Harley's doing right about now. It's been awhile since I've seen Poison Ivy, too. "What about you two? What have you been up to besides apparently trying to murder Penguin and The Flamingo? You have a run in with... someone name another bird themed villain besides Bird."

"I'm pretty sure you have a concussion." Artemis said.

"But to entertain your question, I got a girlfriend."

"Oh... you and Artemis finally got together huh?"

"Goddess, no! He's dating some blonde flight attendant."

"Isabel is her name." Jason told me.

"Oh, well congratulations!... what's wrong with her? Split Personality? Secret member of the League of Assassins? Furry?"

"Surprisingly nothing's wrong with her. Also, say anything like that about her again and I throw you out that window." Jason said in a calm tone.

"The closest thing she has to a problem besides finding Jason attractive is that she's totally fine with him being notorious murderer The Red Hood." Artemis said.

"Oh, shit, you told her?"

"Not exactly but she Surprisingly wasn't pissed when she found out." Jason said.

"So are there any leads on Bane's next move?" I asked.

"Why don't you just rest up for now? Artemis, Batwoman, and I will work on it and we'll let you know if anything comes up." Jason said.

"Yeah, right. I'm gonna get outta this bed and-"

"You're going to sleep." Artemis said with a glare and holding my shirt. Her eyes quickly softened to a surprisingly pleading look.

"A-alright, I'll go to sleep..." I said before she let go of my shirt. I fell back down and closed my eyes and before I knew it I was out.

. . .

"Is he already asleep?" Jason asked as I looked down at (Y,N).

"I'm going to make that bastard pay."

"Listen, you've never really met Bane. We got lucky tonight because we surprised him. If we took him head on we'd be in a bed too. Maybe even Bizarro. I wanna get him back for this as much as you do but we need to be prepared. And I think it's only fair if we go after him after (Y,N) is better. Because he's definitely going to want a piece of him."

"He can have a piece of him. His head after I've chopped it off of his body to be specific." I said before leaning above (Y,N). I gently kissed him on the forehead before looking at Jason. "Well? Let's go get the pale one and search for this Bane Beast. We told him we'd let him know if we found anything."