Part 1

Robert's POV

"I'm sorry Robert, Maryse, there's nothing else we could do." The person stood before me was my old time friend and my best friend since college. When he said those words it felt my world came crushing although I expected to hear this word soon in my life, its just hurt to hear it from someone who you trusted. Probably it would be easier if it came from a stranger but it wasn't and its hurt even worst.

I wouldn't dare to see the look on my wife's face when he said those words. I couldn't dare to see her face but I could feel her hand grasping mine tighter as the words poured out from him.

Tears became to fall but I held it in, I have to stay strong for my wife, for my family, for my son. He can't see me crumbled into pieces like this, I am the head of the family, they looked up to me. If I torn and broken, how they going to get through all of this.

The silenced is definitely ripping my chest and both of us said nothing for the past couple of minute. Valentine stood before us while we seated at the couch in his office. Funny how his name turned out, he always get bullied and mocked for his name but he rise and make his name worthy. Ironic how his name didn't make his as a romantic person, to his wife Jocelyn probably but he became a Cardiothoracic surgeon, which leads us here in his office, at the hospital.

I wonder if the role is reversed, instead of him telling me, I was the one who told him, instead of us, his only daughter, Clarissa is the one dying. That she's the one with a rare blood type making it harder to find a donor. Instead of us, he's the one spending all of their family money to pay her medical bills and finding the donor. What I wouldn't give for the role to be reversed.

"What can we do?" My wife suddenly questioned breaking me from my trance. I swallowed the lump in my throat and blinked my tears away. Our hand still clasped together on the arm rest between us and waited for Valentine to answer.  

Maryse POV

"What can we do?" I asked him, in my life, I always know things before I had to face it. I planned everything in advanced so I could avoid surprises but what he told us is nothing I had anticipate and I didn't plan anything for a back up plan.

"Well, maybe you should start to ask him what he wants to do in his life. Fulfilling his dreams, before-" he stopped himself before he could continue, I swear if he finished that sentence I would punched him on his face.

How I wished the role was reversed, how I wished he could feel what I feel but its not fair for him. He has helped us through everything since it started. Jocelyn had been nothing but a sweetheart helping me going through this. I owed to them for helping us in this matter.

I looked to my side and found my husband, staring into the floor with his hand still clutched into mine. He look so broken, his eyes hidden with so many secrets. I just wished I could read his thoughts. Was he thinking of the money? Or maybe he thought of the future is in case-

No I can't think that, there's still hope, all we have to do is wait. But how much longer we should wait, do we even have all the time in our favors? Does luck even in our side, cause it seems like it hasn't been for years. I had to stay strong, for my family, for him. We can get through this, I know we can, all of us together.

As we were walking in the hallway, both of us kept silenced, no one dare to say anything. Robert lead the way as I followed behind him. Why he didn't say anything, is he thinking of funeral arrangement? Is he thinking that finally he could catch a break? That finally he can relax and not going back and forth to the hospital anymore, or the late night ambulance called or maybe he is just tired of all these just as I am.